Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ariel Atom would you buy one?

Options
  • 28-07-2009 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I dunno loike, it seems like a daycent yoke. but I never seen one in real life. maybe when the recession is over i could get one but the way things are going I'll still be driving the Pug in 5 years.

has anyone here driven one or own one? I don't care for all this power-assisted driving with infotainment and safety features for the kiddies. Saw a Peugeot 807 at the dealer the other day and my Gawd how is a company even allowed to put such a boring piece of **** into production?

i heard the company won't sell one to anyone under 25 is that true?

Would you buy an Ariel Atom 64 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    Yes but only as 2nd or 3rd car
    14% 9 votes
    No wai mang!
    78% 50 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    7% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I'd be pretty confident that no-one owns an atom as their only mode of transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

I'd be pretty confident that no-one owns an atom as their only mode of transport.

yea but.. if they did it would be freakin awsoem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Is there even room for a loaf of bread and a pint of milk in one of them yokes? This is Ireland ffs - you'd spend your life mopping water out of the basterd thing...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I love the high scores of 2nd or 3rd cars.

Who wants a pillow with that dream? :D:D:D

Is there even room for a loaf of bread and a pint of milk in one of them yokes? This is Ireland ffs - you'd spend your life mopping water out of the basterd thing...

'cptr

just about i'd say

today wouldn't be such a good day for driving one... tomorrow isn't looking good either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Imagine how much fun you'd have trying to fit all your flat-pack IKEA furniture in it though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Berty wrote: »
    I love the high scores of 2nd or 3rd cars.

Who wants a pillow with that dream? :D:D:D

When I make a bit of cash in a few years you're not coming to my "I just bought an Ariel Atom as my second third car" party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I think its a bit pointless TBH.

If i was in the market for something like that, I'd be looking at a Lotus Elise, or even an Opel Speedster. You wouldnt need to worry about being hit by a crow in the face on the N4 coming back from Mondello then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Caterhams always seemed cooler to me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd love a go in one, but I don't think it's something i'd want to own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Its one of those ideas that sounds great, I'm sure after a few months of ownership the dream mightn't seem as good.

As pointed out above a lotus or opel speedster might be the better option

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

landyman wrote: »
    Caterhams always seemed cooler to me :rolleyes:
    +1
    And they come with the option of assembling it yourself! :eek: awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

if i had the spare cash i'd get one in a heart beat!
    and then head straight to the Wicklow Mountains to ahh test it out :)
    And maybe have a good track day in Mondello

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWoo82zNUA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

If I bought one I'd drop it round to Kwik Fit and watch them scratch their heads after I asked them to fit a tow bar to it :D:p

It'd be great for the odd blast at Mondello....but I'd prefer something like a vtec powered mini as a second/third car.:)

Nforce wrote: »
    If I bought one I'd drop it round to Kwik Fit and watch them scratch their heads after I asked them to fit a tow bar to it :D:p

It'd be great for the odd blast at Mondello....but I'd prefer something like a vtec powered mini as a second/third car.:)

omg loike i'd want a towbar too! imagine pulling a trailer with that yoke. would make it so much more practical

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

towel401 wrote:
    omg loike i'd want a towbar too! imagine pulling a trailer with that yoke. would make it so much more practical

Impractical? How? If you don't have enough room to fit the weekly shopping just hook up the trailer and buy half the store! :D Just remember to hitch that tarp down nice and tight over the goods or you'll see for yourself exactly how far groceries can fly without any method of self-propulsion! lol.gif

Solitaire wrote: »
    Impractical? How? If you don't have enough room to fit the weekly shopping just hook up the trailer and buy half the store! :D Just remember to hitch that tarp down nice and tight over the goods or you'll see for yourself exactly how far groceries can fly without any method of self-propulsion! lol.gif

i know mang, i'm still outraged over the fact that they made a car with 300 bhp that can't even pull a trailer

I wonder how much I'd have to pay them if i wanted a PTO for the ol milking machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The Atom 300 is a legend car! If I had the means I'd own one in a heartbeat. Opel Speedsters and Elises are tame in comparison! This thing weighs half an Elise with twice the power! It's the most affordable close-to-Veyron performance you'll get. I'd buy one, then tune it to 450bhp... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

What do they cost? If i won the euromillions i'd get one. Don't plan on going out and getting one just yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I'd have one in a heartbeat, feck the N4, give me the back roads, I'm taking the long way home!
    Kirkie for brekkie, Mondello after lunch, and a few Lakes stages before bed. To argue over the practicality of an Atom is to completely miss the point. Of course it's impractical, how could a car that requires a helmet ever be practical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Quint wrote: »
    What do they cost? If i won the euromillions i'd get one. Don't plan on going out and getting one just yet though.

Not cheap by the looks of things.

Second hand ones for £27K and up here - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=432

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Quint wrote: »

Quite reasonable considering the performance. Around £30,000. Not sure you'd get the 300 one for that though.

Biro wrote: »
    Quite reasonable considering the performance. Around £30,000. Not sure you'd get the 300 one for that though.

But wouldn't you have to pay VRT and VAT on it too? It wouldn't be cheap anyway. Definitely one for winning the lotto

Not VAT if it's bought in the EU. Not sure about VRT if it's only a track car.

eoin wrote: »
    Not VAT if it's bought in the EU. Not sure about VRT if it's only a track car.

If it's new or anything up to 6 months old you have to pay VAT aswell, even if it's bought in the EU.

Cool, I just had the 2nd hand ones I linked to in my head, but good point.

eoin wrote: »
    Not cheap by the looks of things.

Second hand ones for £27K and up here - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=432

the ****ing things have gone up in price too. before they were 20k for a new one. but only 160hp

Advertisement