Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.avi File problems.

Options
  • 28-07-2009 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to open an .avi file and I'm getting an error message

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

I've got the latest version of Windows Media Player and DIVX Player so I think it should work. Any ideas on what I can check so I can sort this out.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Try videolan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

You could try playing it with VLC player -
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

file maybe corrupt?

if vlc player fails try opening it with a video editing program and convert it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

try k-lite codec pack for your os

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

file maybe corrupt?

if vlc player fails try opening it with a video editing program and convert it
    mp22 wrote: »
    try k-lite codec pack for your os

No joy with the vlc player, I'm thinking it may be corrupt which will be a bit of a bummer as it's a fairly big download :(

I've looked at the k-lite codec packs and I'm not sure which one to get, should I just get the pack with the most decoders "Mega" pack ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

gears wrote: »
    No joy with the vlc player, I'm thinking it may be corrupt which will be a bit of a bummer as it's a fairly big download :(

I've looked at the k-lite codec packs and I'm not sure which one to get, should I just get the pack with the most decoders "Mega" pack ?

If VLC can't play it nothing can more than likely :) I would avoid these "mega" codec packs as they install allot of codecs which could cause conflicts with other programs (games etc..), if the basic codec pack and VLC can't play it, I guess its corrupted beyond repair :( You could try opening it in VirtualDubMod and see if it will load the file, it may even be able to fix the corruption,

Hope this helps

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    If VLC can't play it nothing can more than likely :) I would avoid these "mega" codec packs as they install allot of codecs which could cause conflicts with other programs (games etc..), if the basic codec pack and VLC can't play it, I guess its corrupted beyond repair :( You could try opening it in VirtualDubMod and see if it will load the file, it may even be able to fix the corruption,

Hope this helps

Nick

Thanks NIck

Well I downloaded the standard codec pack and I'm getting something now, but only 9sec of video from a file that is 700Meg.... There still seems to be something wrong. Could a corruption only allow me to play a small section of the file?

Thanks NIck

Well I downloaded the standard codec pack and I'm getting something now, but only 9sec of video from a file that is 700Meg.... There still seems to be something wrong. Could a corruption only allow me to play a small section of the file?

Very likely, although I'm suprised VLC wouldnt even play a few seconds, try opening the avi in VirtualDubMod, this program can find errors and fix them I've noticed, obviously depends how serious they are though, how did you get the avi, from torrents? If so did it complete 100%? Sometimes a video may look downloaded on the computer, but still not fully downloaded,

Nick

Yes it was a torrent ok and it does seem like it's complete as the file size is correct. Maybe I'll just let the torrent software run for a bit longer in case there is some small download left, either that or it is corrupt and I might just dump it and try again.

Yes it was a torrent ok and it does seem like it's complete as the file size is correct. Maybe I'll just let the torrent software run for a bit longer in case there is some small download left, either that or it is corrupt and I might just dump it and try again.

Chances are if the torrent software says its 100% not much you can do, afaik torrent programs have an option "force hash check" which may be able to find the problem and re download the corrupted, bits, try U torrent for this

Nick

• Advertisement

Yeah I think it's a bit of a lost cause this one. So I I'll just delete what I've got and download from somewhere else.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 kuban-83

Remove from you PC all codecs, then try with sub edit player + codecs pack:
    http://unidownload.com/filedownload-SubEdit-Player_330.html

Advertisement