Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

00 Toyota Celica GTS

Options
  • 28-07-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭

Any opinions on the Toyota Celica GTS?

Thinking bout buying one but not sure of things like miles to the gallon etc?

Any help is much apprecriated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

look on wikipedia...

and just get a uk spec VVTI-190 they have nicer options and extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That would be VVTL-i ;)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That would be VVTL-i ;)
    I know that, I've owned one!

The model is called the VVTi-190 as printed on the back of the car.
    984796-3.jpg

Then came the T-Sport model.
    1135909-5.jpg

And then the GT
    1123836-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

would ye guys recommend one though. In the test drive it seem savage and it is a sexy car like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Yes, get one.

• Advertisement

I would recommend one for sure but the only problem is that they've now fallen into a low price bracket where they're about to become a boy racer car, they are already a few very distasteful modified cars around.

steve06 wrote: »
    I would recommend one for sure but the only problem is that they've now fallen into a low price bracket where they're about to become a boy racer car.

Well the one i was getting from the garage was listed at €5950 so you might have a point there. My main concern is that the Toyota garage say they dont offer warranty's on cars over 6 years old. Is there anything that is common in going wrong with these cars or are they overly heavy on petrol consumption? they seem to be listed at around 30 miles to the the US gallon where my current car works out at 35 miles to the US gallon so not majorly different. Just wondering about any posters experiences?

I never had problems with my celicas, I've had 2 now. If a garage sells you a car they must give at least 3 months warranty with the car. My only advice would be to buy a uk car with history and not a jap car as you'll never know what service work was done, if any... or what the mileage could actually be.

When the petrol gauge hits a quarter tank fill it up, it'll drink the last quarter very fast!

I never had problems with my celicas, I've had 2 now. If a garage sells you a car they must give at least 3 months warranty with the car. My only advice would be to buy a uk car with history and not a jap car as you'll never know what service work was done, if any... or what the mileage could actually be.

When the petrol gauge hits a quarter tank fill it up, it'll drink the last quarter very fast!

How do you mean an UK car its an Irish reg car that I'm looking that I'm assuming there roughly the same type?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭d-don

slingerz wrote: »
    Well the one i was getting from the garage was listed at €5950 so you might have a point there. My main concern is that the Toyota garage say they dont offer warranty's on cars over 6 years old. Is there anything that is common in going wrong with these cars or are they overly heavy on petrol consumption? they seem to be listed at around 30 miles to the the US gallon where my current car works out at 35 miles to the US gallon so not majorly different. Just wondering about any posters experiences?

Hi Slingerz,...
    I've a Gts model or also called the Vvtli model... The car in its self is a great car.. especially when lift kicks in :D.. Things you should do to maintain the car is service it regularly ie: engine oil and filter.... But very importantly the lift bolts.. The lift bolts are in conjunction with your lift on the car at 6000 rpm... They should be changed asap as they are renowned for breakin in half !!! which can lead to lost of ift and a part of a screw falling around in your engine ! not a good idea:eek: ... bolts only cost about 4 euro and a hours work...

I am in a Celica club and there are loads of Irish lads on there who regularly meet up for cruises and car shows etc.... check out the site its full of info you need to make the right decision mate ;) And were around if ya need any help on doin lift bolts etc ..

Check the site out www.celica-club.co.uk

There are always cars on there for sale etc.... need any more info pop me a pm....

• Advertisement

How do you mean an UK car its an Irish reg car that I'm looking that I'm assuming there roughly the same type?

He's goin of the myth that jap cars are always clocked etc... myth..... you swear that happens in only one country !

From experience.. with lads in the club some have bought cars from england and brought them over but due to salt being used on the roads you can expect they had some rust problems on their cars !! now I have a jap import and not one spec of rust mmmmmmmm....

Anyways mate if you need heads up on the car your goin to look at pop a pm be happy to help.... plus i'll bring a few other celica lads to show you different styles etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I would agree with those above who recommend UK over jap model, check the history of the car thoroughly; mileage, servicing, previous ownership etc.

Also consider getting indicative insurance quotes prior to purchasing as quite a few of the insurance companies are reluctant to insure Japanese imports and FBD recently refused to quote me on any type of Celica fullstop!

De Hipster wrote: »
    I would agree with those above who recommend UK over jap model, check the history of the car thoroughly; mileage, servicing, previous ownership etc.

Also consider getting indicative insurance quotes prior to purchasing as quite a few of the insurance companies are reluctant to insure Japanese imports and FBD recently refused to quote me on any type of Celica fullstop!

Did you try quinn direct or Britton insurance ? or 123.ie...

Although the GTS model is feckin hard to get insured on lucky I have trade insurance so phewwwwwwwwww :D

When your test driving the car and you hit 6000 rpm there should be no hesitation in lift kicking in but do be aware the lift will not kick in until the engine has heated up properly so wait till it goes from the coldest to about two more clicks up on the dial mate... and look out for when turning right left etc any grindin noises otherwise sorted :)

d-don wrote: »
    Hi Slingerz,...
    I've a Gts model or also called the Vvtli model... The car in its self is a great car.. especially when lift kicks in :D.. Things you should do to maintain the car is service it regularly ie: engine oil and filter.... But very importantly the lift bolts.. The lift bolts are in conjunction with your lift on the car at 6000 rpm... They should be changed asap as they are renowned for breakin in half !!! which can lead to lost of ift and a part of a screw falling around in your engine ! not a good idea:eek: ... bolts only cost about 4 euro and a hours work...

I am in a Celica club and there are loads of Irish lads on there who regularly meet up for cruises and car shows etc.... check out the site its full of info you need to make the right decision mate ;) And were around if ya need any help on doin lift bolts etc ..

Check the site out www.celica-club.co.uk

There are always cars on there for sale etc.... need any more info pop me a pm....

i am not quite sure about what lift bolts or or how they work but would like to know more about this part of the celica especially if its a troublesome part.
    He's goin of the myth that jap cars are always clocked etc... myth..... you swear that happens in only one country !

From experience.. with lads in the club some have bought cars from england and brought them over but due to salt being used on the roads you can expect they had some rust problems on their cars !! now I have a jap import and not one spec of rust mmmmmmmm....

Anyways mate if you need heads up on the car your goin to look at pop a pm be happy to help.... plus i'll bring a few other celica lads to show you different styles etc..

Although the GTS model is feckin hard to get insured on lucky I have trade insurance so phewwwwwwwwww :D

When your test driving the car and you hit 6000 rpm there should be no hesitation in lift kicking in but do be aware the lift will not kick in until the engine has heated up properly so wait till it goes from the coldest to about two more clicks up on the dial mate... and look out for when turning right left etc any grindin noises otherwise sorted :)

I got insurance handy enough with AXA to be honest!

No I'm not, I'm stating the fact that with a Jap car you get no history at all!

No I'm not, I'm stating the fact that with a Jap car you get no history at all!

Where would I get the history of the car anyway?!

you wont be able to get a service history for a jap import, most uk cars will come with a history. If you're looking at a car with a dealer here, ask them about a service history!

you wont be able to get a service history for a jap import, most uk cars will come with a history. If you're looking at a car with a dealer here, ask them about a service history!

Ya its with a dealer alright I'll have to ask about the service history alright. Will that show the number of owners etc?

Eventually renewed my existing policy with Brittons when they agreed to match quote value from 123...it does pay to shop around.

AXA ...sorry Allianz will also likely refuse; I have full clean licence 8+years, full 10yr NCB, no accidents & both AXA & FBD were not interested.

De Hipster wrote: »
    Eventually renewed my existing policy with Brittons when they agreed to match quote value from 123...it does pay to shop around.

AXA ...sorry Allianz will also likely refuse; I have full clean licence 8+years, full 10yr NCB, no accidents & both AXA & FBD were not interested.

So its a 140 VVti the insurance isnt that bad at AXA at €500.

Have to look into the oil consumption issue before purchasing though

• Advertisement

Eh how you gettin a quote for that amount on insurance>? how old are ya... ncb etc...

So its a 140 VVti the insurance isnt that bad at AXA at €500.

Have to look into the oil consumption issue before purchasing though

That's a good quote indeed.
    Mine is €410 for the 2.0lt older model.

Eh how you gettin a quote for that amount on insurance>? how old are ya... ncb etc...

25 with 8 years NCB.

Insurance on my old car was €330

Advertisement