Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling methods?

Options
  • 28-07-2009 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

I was just watching the City Bin Co emptying the bins in my estate into their truck (it's sad I know :rolleyes:) and I have a question. As ye probably know, the bins for collection are alternated every second week. Today was the turn for clean and dry recyclables and also the organic waste. It seemed to me though that they were emptying both types of refuse into the one compartment in the truck itself. Both the green and the brown bins were lifted simultaneously and emptied and they seemed to mix together. What's the point? I looked for separate compartments but I couldn't see any. Are they actually mixing both types of waste and if so, how do they recycle the once - clean and dry recyclables then? Seems strange. Are the trucks compartmentalized? Just wondering :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Why am I picturing TP as a retired old geezer sitting on his front porch with nothing to do but write letters to the advertiser and give out about bin lorries and such and such! The local kids are like don't go on to Old Man Peters lawn, he'll git ya with his zimmerframe!

OT, I dunno, are you sure they weren't going into two different sides of the truck?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

How can you collect the waste and recyclables at once with just one truck?
    The vehicles we use for domestic collections are ‘split body vehicles’ which contain different compartments for the different waste streams.

http://www.citybin.com/page.asp?menu=176&page=649

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Why am I picturing TP as a retired old geezer sitting on his front porch with nothing to do but write letters to the advertiser and give out about bin lorries and such and such! The local kids are like don't go on to Old Man Peters lawn, he'll git ya with his zimmerframe!

OT, I dunno, are you sure they weren't going into two different sides of the truck?

Very funny :D

I was just curious because it really looked like it was all being mixed together...but obviously I'm wrong.

I'll keep an eye on the postman now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

It's common for areas not to split their waste (on the binman side) until they get a certain amount of residents separating their waste correctly first. Otherwise there's too much sorting to be done on their side for it to be worth it.

Advertisement