Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant scheme details for 2009.

Options
  • 28-07-2009 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

In case its not out there yet I thought I'd post this. The grant scheme details were released today to our VEC by the DES. The rates of grant for 2009/2010 remain the same but the reckonable income limits have increased:

Where there are less than 4 dependent children the income limits are:
    100% grant + Full Fees: €41,110
    75% grant + Full Fees: €42,235
    50% grant + Full Fees: €44,720
    25% Grant + Full Fees: €47,205
    Full Fees Only: €51,380

This part has changed, Please note:
    (Taken from Vocational Education Scheme Committees Scholarship Scheme 2009, appendix 2, pg 22.)

"Where 2 or more children (or the candidates parent) are pursuing a course of study listed below, the reckonable income limits for Full Maintenance (100%) and Full Fees and Part Tuition Fee (50%) only categories may be increased by €4,980, where their are 2 such children €9,960 where there are 3 such children and so on, by increments of €4,980.

For the Part Maintenance and Full Fees at 75%, 50%, and 25% the reckonable income limits may be increased by €4815, where there are 2 such children, €9,630, where there are 3 such children and so on by increments of €4,815."

The income limit for the special rate of maintenance grant is now €22,308

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

thank god income limits have not gone down!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 tonywanda

If your parents income is around €49,000 (gross) and classed as a mature dependent living w/ parents. Would it even be worth your while going for a grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

tonywanda wrote: »
    If your parents income is around €49,000 (gross) and classed as a mature dependent living w/ parents. Would it even be worth your while going for a grant?

Any other dependent kids at home?
    Whats your income for all of 2008 like as that would be added onto your parents?

I generally tell everyone to apply even if they think they're ineligible. You might get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Where there are less than 4 dependent children the income limits are:
    100% grant + Full Fees: €41,110
    75% grant + Full Fees: €42,235
    50% grant + Full Fees: €44,720
    25% Grant + Full Fees: €47,205
    Full Fees Only: €51,380

It looks like only two of the income thresholds have been increased on last year, i.e. €41,110 and €51,380. Official figures have not yet been published on studentfinance.ie, although they do have the actual grant amounts which, as paperclip says, remain unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

Official figures have not yet been published on www.studentfinance.ie,

They have just been updated...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jasper2009

hey does anyone have any idea about if your looking just for the grant for the fees but not a maintenance grant?? Doubt i'll get any maintenance but just need my fees payed. I did a level 7 ordinary degree in Dit and i want to go to limerick into 2nd year of an honours degree but theres no way i can afford fees. I have all the form filled out and i'm goin to send them in but i'm affraid college will start and i'll be in limerick a few weeks and i'll have to drop out when i find out i'm not getting any grant. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what happens if you earn over €51,380? Do you have to pay full fees yourself?

I'm asking as I hoping to go back to study in Sept. When I was selecting a course I didn't look at the fees side of it, only the content of the course itself.

I've now accepted a place at an IT (and turned down a job!!!) and I see the fees for my course were €13,000 last year!!! This is in a IT too. Thought it would be cheaper to do a Masters in an IT compared to a University. Is this a normal price?

When I filled out the grant application it was concerned only with money earned last year. Last year I had a good paying job with plenty of over time.

I included in my application a change in circumstances, in that I was made redundant in May 09 (no redundancy payment) and now survive on my wife's income (min wage). Currently I'm getting Job Seekers Benefit but this will run out when I start back at College.

Am really nervous now that if I don't qualify for the fees to be paid I won't be able to do the course.

Hoping someone might have some advice/info.

Regards,

WM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Instinfo

If you earned over the income limit you will have to pay the tuition fees yourself.

You might be assessed under the "change of circumstance" clause. If you are approved for a grant, the maximum amount they will pay towards tuition fees is €6,270.

See www.studentfinance.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Instinfo,

Thanks for the info and link. Looks like its off to the bank for me :(

WM

Advertisement