Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning French from scratch

Options
  • 28-07-2009 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

So I want to learn from the very beginning. Where do I start?

I have some first year school books but these aren't much good really. Also, I'm not willing to pay any money, because I know there are good free resources out there. Finally, I'm in no rush, and am only doing this for my own interests.

Where do i start guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Bonjour !

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Ginkgo

Some ideas on how to start learning French (at no cost):

(1) Free online tutorials/games:
    One of the key benefits of online learning is that often you can listen to the pronunciation of sounds (especially important for sounds that we don't have in English). Try to mimic the correct pronunciation from the beginning.

Here are some links to get started.

http://www.oilte.ie/webres/franweb.htm

http://french.about.com/

(2) You could borrow Michel Thomas beginners French language course in the library. His emphasis on pronunciation and speaking the language makes these lessons a good starting point.

(3) After a while (when you have the basics) you could try to organise a language exchange with a francophone who wants to improve their English; either by meeting in person or over Skype.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Why do you consider the school books not much good? That's where the majority of people start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

prinz wrote: »
    Why do you consider the school books not much good? That's where the majority of people start.
    I know you weren't asking me, but the vast majority of 17/18 year old Leaving Cert students can barely string a sentence together, so he's loooking for a different approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

mental07 wrote: »
    I know you weren't asking me, but the vast majority of 17/18 year old Leaving Cert students can barely string a sentence together, so he's loooking for a different approach.

That's down to the students themselves tbh. I never had an issue with my french books :confused: Try online perhaps OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amjon

mental07 wrote: »
    the vast majority of 17/18 year old Leaving Cert students can barely string a sentence together, so he's loooking for a different approach.

Absolute nonsense! Maybe in BallyMcKnacker heroin school but if you go to a school were pupils actually want to learn you will find quite the opposite.

Advertisement