Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brenda O'Brian's "insight" into atheists

Options
  • 28-07-2009 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

The Irish Times really has lost me with this article...

first line reads: "Religious people and atheists have much in common – their beliefs require a leap of faith"

it then goes on to examine this horribly flawed statement as it where... (for lack of a better word) gospel.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Atheists often appeal to science to underwrite their disbelief, but the decision not to believe in God lies ultimately in the arena of gut feeling, or hunch, or intuition.
    Science doesn't underwrite disbelief - it more a case of not underwriting belief.

And how can not sharing someone else's faith be a faith, ffs.

I thought that the article was just about tolerable until I came to this in the final paragraph:
    Perhaps the real division is not between atheists and religious people, but between those who would wish to see a culture of social justice, concern for the vulnerable and weak and a sustainable future, and those who are just out to grab everything they can for themselves.

She is clearly being snide here and implicitly saying:

Theists = want a culture of social justice, concern for vulnerable and weak.
    Atheists = "out to grab everything they can for themselves".

She doesn't explicitly say this, but it's clearly implied. How dare she? That's the second columnist/journalist that I've lost all respect for in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Tyrrial wrote: »
    "Religious people and atheists have much in common – their beliefs require a leap of faith"

attachment.php?attachmentid=86242&stc=1&d=1248781590

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Some atheists speak about the impossibility of proving a negative. Polemicists like Richard Dawkins like to talk about the impossibility of proving that there isn’t a teapot flying around the sun. It would be hard to imagine anyone, after serious weighing of and struggling with the possibilities, coming to believe in a flying solar teapot, but many, including prominent scientists, have come to believe in God.
    Indeed, many believers see in science, particularly quantum physics, increasing evidence for, though not proof of, the existence of a god.

Most prominent scientists that talk of God do not mean a personal God. This is a well known fact. Hawking's is a good example. He mentions God in the end of BHOT and later clarified what he meant in an interview. Einstein was a really good example. He clearly believed in some kind of cosmic force but not a personal God as he stated many times. If quantum physics is doing anything at all then it's getting rid of the need for a God (prime mover) by explaining energy and time.
    She describes a long tradition of dialogue between theologians and atheists, which both sides found stimulating and valuable. She does not think such a dialogue can happen with new atheists, because unlike Feuerbach, Marx and Freud, they are not theologically literate. For example, she says that Dawkins takes the Bible as literally as any Protestant fundamentalist. The only point of disagreement is that Dawkins finds it unreliable about science, whereas fundamentalists do not.

Hitchens and Dawkins not theologically literate? She obviously has little experience of either of them. Dawkins *questions* whether or not the bible is a literal text. Religious people claim it is 'in part' and conveniently, only in the parts which are not ridiculous. The talking animals and some of the murdering stuff is allegory, metaphor, simile, onomatopoeia, hyperbole etc...the good stuff like Jesus saying "hey you don't disrespect your fellow man" is completely accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

In the comments:

"Richard Reid: As an Agnostic (specifically not an Atheist) I find your final observation that "the atheist and religious person can be friends" to be patronisingly pointless. What, I wonder, is this "increasing evidence" in quantum physics which you say many believers see in science for the existence of a god? What god? What sort of god?."

I know its been done before but why do people still think there is this third choice called being an Agnostic? You either believe or you dont. If youre not sure you dont. To be an agnostic thats not an atheist means you are an agnostic theist, which is a very odd position to take.

</rant>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

And so another person expressing their ignorance in the broadsheets. My we are getting popular! So problems are

i) not getting what atheism is (not that difficult to get if you put your mind to it!)

ii) thinking that taking pot shots at Richard Dawkins somehow 'lessens' atheism (see i)

iii) equating atheism with religious belief (see i)

iv) that atheism means some adherence to some form of social darwinism and/or other tenants (see i)

Hmm, seems a pattern is emerging...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

eoin5 wrote: »
    In the comments:

"Richard Reid: As an Agnostic (specifically not an Atheist) I find your final observation that "the atheist and religious person can be friends" to be patronisingly pointless. What, I wonder, is this "increasing evidence" in quantum physics which you say many believers see in science for the existence of a god? What god? What sort of god?."

I know its been done before but why do people still think there is this third choice called being an Agnostic? You either believe or you dont. If youre not sure you dont. To be an agnostic thats not an atheist means you are an agnostic theist, which is a very odd position to take.

</rant>

Agnostic Theist refers to someone who acknowledges the possibility that God does not exist, but who still makes the choice to continue living according to religious teachings.

On the other hand, I am an Agnostic, and I don't live my life according to any religious teachings. Agnostic is not the same as Agnostic Theist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Agnostic Theist refers to someone who acknowledges the possibility that God does not exist, but who still makes the choice to continue living according to religious teachings.

On the other hand, I am an Agnostic, and I don't live my life according to any religious teachings. Agnostic is not the same as Agnostic Theist.

But don't see what doesn't make any sense about calling yourself Agnostic? I mean are you Agnostic to? The god of the Vikings, Shinto, Islam? What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

But don't see what doesn't make any sense about calling yourself Agnostic? I mean are you Agnostic to? The god of the Vikings, Shinto, Islam? What?

Of course it makes sense to call yourself agnostic to the idea of a god(s) while rejecting particular narrow definitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Every time I see an article in a mainstream publication trying to villify atheism I get a feeling of smug satisfaction.
    It's like we're finally seen as a threat or something. In times past we could just be ignored because our numbers were so few. Now, apparently, we're something to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Galvasean wrote: »
    Every time I see an article in a mainstream publication trying to villify atheism I get a feeling of smug satisfaction.
    It's like we're finally seen as a threat or something. In times past we could just be ignored because our numbers were so few. Now, apparently, we're something to worry about.

Well i think we've a way to go before atheists are more than just a passing concern for most people.
    Also if we where something to worry about i feel firstly that this blasphemous article may not have been published or maybe even the Defamation Act could have had a little bit of trouble getting passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Reminds me of the words of this good man:
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
    -- Mahatma Gandhi

Can't say I'm looking forward to teh fight part... how many tanks do you think the atheists would have access to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

This the affliction of the intelligent persons compartmentalized mind trying to fight off the diseased riddled remnants of an early religious childhood hence the shadowy sentimentality of the mother figure in the piece.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Can't say I'm looking forward to teh fight part... how many tanks do you think the atheists would have access to?

it's a shame the soviet union collapsed, but maybe we can still count on China.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Don't worry, while the Theists are busy praying for protection, we'll sneak around behind them and launch the explosive packed babies.

Victory!

Don't worry, while the Theists are busy praying for protection, we'll sneak around behind them and launch the explosive packed babies.

Victory!

Oh yeah, I forgot we don't have any morals and as such will stoop to any low.
    This will be the basis for our victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Why would they fight us?

All you have to remind them is that if they're right then when we die we'll suffer for an eternity : surely that's better than waging warfare on us and risking their own lives.

Also, I quite liked this Irish Times comment:
    I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

It'd be a lot politer than my one, just wondering whether I should bother ...

Gotta say though that it's really really REALLY begining to tick me off that people are claiming that Quantum Physics offers proof of an omnipotent power.

I really think the MRBI and Red C folks should poll quantum physicists on this;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

...blot out the sun...

Seriously have no intention of reading the article, the outtakes in the thread are enough to tell that it would simply be an exercise in frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Good article. I don't think I've ever read a word of Breda's that I disagree with.
    I thought that the article was just about tolerable until I came to this in the final paragraph:

"Perhaps the real division is not between atheists and religious people, but between those who would wish to see a culture of social justice, concern for the vulnerable and weak and a sustainable future, and those who are just out to grab everything they can for themselves."

She is clearly being snide here and implicitly saying:

Theists = want a culture of social justice, concern for vulnerable and weak.
    Atheists = "out to grab everything they can for themselves".

That must be the only part of the article you read. For that part is preceded by
    "Many atheists would also be appalled by lack of social solidarity. Neither atheism nor religion has a monopoly on truth and morality. Ireland is facing enormous challenges in the years ahead."

and the title of the article is
    "Many atheists I know would be certain of a high place in heaven"

So no, she obviously isn't saying what you want her to say.

I don't think that you read the article if you think Breda is trying to vilify atheism.
    stevejazzx wrote: »
    Hitchens and Dawkins not theologically literate? She obviously has little experience of either of them. Dawkins *questions* whether or not the bible is a literal text. Religious people claim it is 'in part' and conveniently, only in the parts which are not ridiculous.

If he asserts that religious people differentiate literal from allegorical passages based on their convenience then he is theologically illiterate. The differentiation is in fact based on a discipline called exegesis. This uses the language of the text, informed by how language was used at the time, to discern its intended meaning.
    Malty_T wrote: »
    Gotta say though that it's really really REALLY begining to tick me off that people are claiming that Quantum Physics offers proof of an omnipotent power.

O'Brien specifically says that it doesn't offer any such proof in the article.
    Zillah wrote: »
    ...blot out the sun...

Seriously have no intention of reading the article, the outtakes in the thread are enough to tell that it would simply be an exercise in frustration.
    As my post above demonstrates, this thread has been an exercise in misrepresentation of O'Brien's article.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Húrin wrote: »
    If he asserts that religious people differentiate literal from allegorical passages based on their convenience then he is theologically illiterate. The differentiation is in fact based on a discipline called exegesis. This uses the language of the text, informed by how language was used at the time, to discern its intended meaning.
    Most people who have ever picked up a bible have never even heard exegesis.

And other parties might even suggest exegeses is an exercise in convenience in itself. As in convenient that the stuff shown to be false by science happen to be 'exegesed' as being allegorical. :pac:

Dades wrote: »

And other parties might even suggest exegeses is an exercise in convenience in itself. As in convenient that the stuff shown to be false by science happen to be 'exegesed' as being allegorical. :pac:

Exegeses in a nutshell:

"This part of the bible appears wrong/immoral/ridiculous. The bible is the perfect word of God so it can't be wrong, we must be reading it wrong. Let's interpret it until it's right again" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

O'Brien specifically says that it doesn't offer any such proof in the article.
    Of course she doesn't if she did I'd have torn her to shreds :).
    All, I was saying, is that I'm getting ticked off with people saying Quantum Physics offers proof at there being a deity. It is really annoying!
    The problem is though, if you look at the passage it says
    many, including prominent scientists, have come to believe in God.
    This is then followed up by the fact that 'many believers' believe science offers prove of a deity. Some readers (impossible to quantify) would easily mistake this as to referring scientists. Why? An reference to scientists is directly followed by statement of science offering proof (questionable though it may be).. it's something you can experiment by yourself the next you write a blog or something.

Anyways, seeing as you're defending her,and I applaud you for letting your opinion be known, let's get the dissection started :)
    On this passage alone she says
    Many prominent scientists
    Very vague, who are they? Are they still alive?
    Many Believers
    Again, who are they?

Examples would be nice, though I may stepping out of line here a bit, it seems she may be just writing what she thinks, an opinion. Opinion column though it may be, she still has to explain her thoughts and arguments ALOT better : sloppy.

Good article. I don't think I've ever read a word of Breda's that I disagree with.

Theres plenty of things I disagree with in the piece but those aside the things she does say about atheists that are fair enough really shouldnt need saying. Its the type of talk thats used to veil a snide type of bigotry. This kind of stuff:

"I realise with a certain degree of mild surprise that I know rather a lot of atheists, certainly far more than I should, given the overall representation of atheists in the population. The ones I know best are principled, highly moral people, and are extraordinarily tolerant of this columnist’s well-known religious biases. In fact, they are the kind of people that my mother would have declared, without a trace of irony or any wish to offend, to be certain of a high place in heaven."

The underlying tone is that of surprise at her atheist friends being nice people. Substitute black or homeless or any minority you like for atheist in that paragraph and youll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

I don't think that you read the article if you think Breda is trying to vilify atheism.

You're right, she's not quite trying to vilify it, but she certainly portrays it as a maladaptive and worrying change in Irish society which poses a threat to our development as a nation
    new atheists lack a passion to create a better world. Their desire to ascribe all evil to religion means that they show little concern for the poverty, injustice and humiliation that are underlying causes of many of the atrocities they label as religious.
    As people abandon practice of their faith (in the sense of daily engagement with compassionate service and openness to mystery), some have substituted either the pursuit of wealth or selfish individualism. This can hardly be termed progress.
    religious belief enables people to transcend suffering, inspires acts of altruism and builds community.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Of course she doesn't if she did I'd have torn her to shreds :).
    All, I was saying, is that I'm getting ticked off with people saying Quantum Physics offers proof at there being a deity. It is really annoying!
    Who are they?

This is then followed up by the fact that 'many believers' believe science offers prove of a deity. Some readers (impossible to quantify) would easily mistake this as to referring scientists. Why? An reference to scientists is directly followed by statement of science offering proof (questionable though it may be).. it's something you can experiment by yourself the next you write a blog or something.
    Evidence isn't proof. She mentions evidence.
    Very vague, who are they? Are they still alive?
    It doesn't need to be said. You'd have to be pretty blinkered to think that 100% of scientists these days are atheists.
    Again, who are they?
    Again, doesn't need to be said. She's talking about a large segment of society.
    Examples would be nice, though I may stepping out of line here a bit, it seems she may be just writing what she thinks, an opinion. Opinion column though it may be, she still has to explain her thoughts and arguments ALOT better.

I agree. I think she tries to say too much in too little space.
    Dades wrote: »
    I expect they have. Anyone who teaches the Bible to other people is relying on some form of interpretation.
    And other parties might even suggest exegeses is an exercise in convenience in itself. As in convenient that the stuff shown to be false by science happen to be 'exegesed' as being allegorical.

Exegesis ends with a conclusion. It does not start with one. You are starting with a conclusion about what exegesis is, to suit your prejudices.
    Theres plenty of things I disagree with in the piece but those aside the things she does say about atheists that are fair enough really shouldnt need saying. Its the type of talk thats used to veil a snide type of bigotry. This kind of stuff:

"I realise with a certain degree of mild surprise that I know rather a lot of atheists, certainly far more than I should, given the overall representation of atheists in the population. The ones I know best are principled, highly moral people, and are extraordinarily tolerant of this columnist’s well-known religious biases. In fact, they are the kind of people that my mother would have declared, without a trace of irony or any wish to offend, to be certain of a high place in heaven."

The underlying tone is that of surprise at her atheist friends being nice people. Substitute black or homeless or any minority you like for atheist in that paragraph and youll get it.

Nonsense. She's trying to guard against the kind of misreading that is happening in this thread. Atheists are not a disadvantaged minority either unlike your examples.
    MatthewVII wrote: »
    You're right, she's not quite trying to vilify it, but she certainly portrays it as a maladaptive and worrying change in Irish society which poses a threat to our development as a nation

None of the statements you picked out are false. It seems she can't win: when she highlights selfless and moral atheists she's a baddie; when she highlights selfish and amoral atheists she's a baddie too.

Exegesis ends with a conclusion. It does not start with one. You are starting with a conclusion about what exegesis is, to suit your prejudices.

You start with the conclusion that the bible is the perfect word of God and anything that suggests otherwise is simply being interpreted wrong. No other book gets that treatment, if it appears to be wrong that's because it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    You start with the conclusion that the bible is the perfect word of God and anything that suggests otherwise is simply being interpreted wrong. No other book gets that treatment, if it appears to be wrong that's because it is

Yeah that point is quite stunningly ignored by believers who claim to seriously study the Bible.

You cannot seriously study a book of history without considering the possibility that the authors were mistaken/wrong/contradictory/inaccurate/lying/making stuff up

It is all very well saying that you are going to study the Bible in terms of what you believe the authors meant in the context of the time they lived, rather than a modern slant or interpretation.

But Bible exegesis is invariably done using the context that the authors were being inspired by God. Which makes the whole process ridiculous.

Nonsense. She's trying to guard against the kind of misreading that is happening in this thread. Atheists are not a disadvantaged minority either unlike your examples.

I havent a clue how thats supposed to help guard against misreading, the zeitgeist has moved on from statements like like that. Its just stuff that doesnt need saying. Consider this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS_Uvg56U_o . And of course atheists are disadvantaged, would you be up for wearing a tshirt with "I'm an atheist" on it for a week to prove otherwise?

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »

Exegesis is concerned with finding out what the authors are really trying to say. I don't see how it is relevant whether the authors are correct or in error in their beliefs - exegetes are trying to find what their beliefs were. That said, most experts in Biblical exegesis do not view the Bible as inerrant. Indeed, some non-Christians do it too.
    Wicknight wrote: »
    But Bible exegesis is invariably done using the context that the authors were being inspired by God. Which makes the whole process ridiculous.
    Why are you making such an assumption about how exegesis is "invariably done"?
    I havent a clue how thats supposed to help guard against misreading, the zeitgeist has moved on from statements like like that. Its just stuff that doesnt need saying. Consider this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS_Uvg56U_o . And of course atheists are disadvantaged, would you be up for wearing a tshirt with "I'm an atheist" on it for a week to prove otherwise?
    I find this insinuation that O'Brien is prejudiced against atheists, or thinks that they're bad enough to require some patronising, to be barely credible in this day and age. I think you who make such are just begging for an enemy. This idea that atheists in Ireland are swimming against the river or are in any way not completely part of the established cultural mainstream is infantile.

In Dublin I'd rather wear that around than "I'm a Christian" (I think this would draw the most mockery) or other religion. Atheists are not disadvantaged in Ireland in terms of career choice, material wealth, or any of the usual criteria. Indeed, the middle and upper classes have traditionally been overrepresented in the "ranks" of atheists.

Advertisement