Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No line rental + 3MB Download speed without NTL = impossible?

Options
  • 28-07-2009 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

I browsed through old posts but didn't quite get the info I was looking for. I just recently moved in a new area where NTL/UPC broadband is not available.

Last week I ordered Eircom but then I started reading about their threats of downgrading or suspending users and I don't want to sign up with them anymore. On the other hand why should I go with BT and pay a line rental fee at all?

Do I have any other option, as the wireless broadband providers seem unreliable and at times painfully slow (I'd need to stream live football and can't deal with low connection speed, really not)?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What threats of downgrading or suspending from eircom? eircom have never suspended a user, or downgraded (unless the line is incapable of the speed).

To get broadband over the phone, you have to pay line rental, doesn't matter who you chose (BT, etc).

Digiweb Metro and Imagine (IBB) Breeze are two good wireless services. Mobile, Clearwire, Ripwave are all poorer services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Guy Montag

This is what I have read and what people are talking about in one of the sticky posts at the top of this section of the forum:

http://torrentfreak.com/irelands-largest-isp-starts-throttling-and-disconnections-090725/

and if they are supporting this I don't want to give them my money.

It seems that with IBB you can't get it faster than 2M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Guy Montag wrote: »
    This is what I have read and what people are talking about in one of the sticky posts at the top of this section of the forum:

http://torrentfreak.com/irelands-largest-isp-starts-throttling-and-disconnections-090725/

UPC throttles torrents, there are many posts about it in the UPC thread, I don't believe eircom do. eircom have not yet disconnected anyone for this. There have been no confirmed warnings received by users either.

If you get DSL from any provider, you are supporting eircom as they get almost all, if not all, of the money anyway. All the ISPs in Ireland are largely wholesale resellers of eircom bitstream products, and eircom make the vast majority of the money you pay, including all of the line rental. Even the very small number of LLU customers are paying a huge chunk of their monthly fee to eircom.

Breeze is up to 4Mbps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you ever get a phone line you'll be giving eircom money regardless of the provider you choose to provide the service over the phone line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Guy Montag

Cabaal wrote: »
    If you ever get a phone line you'll be giving eircom money regardless of the provider you choose to provide the service over the phone line

Yes, that's why I was looking at other possible options without line rental, first and foremost because I don't need a landline at all.

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement