Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sedating dog for flight!

Options
  • 28-07-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Has anyone experience of this? Basically, a friend of mine and her family are emigrating in 2 weeks to the US. Ive agreed to mind their dog as his flight isnt for a few days after they leave. Hes a sweet dog but gets ridiculously stressed on car journeys...nevermind a plane. Im suggesting a mild sedative for him but ive no prior experience or knowledge of whether this is a good idea. Ive to bring him to the airport at 6am and the flight will be approx 5hrs.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

The airline wont take the dog if it has been sedated. It is too dangerous on the animal.
    If you look on their website they should give you an idea as to how to prepare the dog for its journey.
    Is it just stress or is it travel sickness the dog suffers from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

He seems to stress himself out when in the car,i wouldnt class it as "travel sickness" though. He gets hyper excited...bordering on pure anxiety in my opinion and barks his head off for any length of a car journey its unreal. Hes agitated, hot and will not listen to any commands whatsoever. I cant imagine what hes going to be like on a plane:eek: Although the only consolation is theres no windows or anything so he mightnt cop that hes actually travelling as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A sedated dog can become cold esp. in a hold can make matters worse.
    Try the DAP diffuser thingymabob, you can get it in a spray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

I'd agree,I used to check animals before they went out on a plane and if they were sedated they were refused on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

One of the big issues that I believe airlines have about sedated animals is that they can't adequately thermoregulate. Depending on the temperature in the holing area, which may or may not be constant, the animal may become hyperthermic because of inability to pant or hypothermic due to inability to shiver / keep warm. This, plus a long unsupervised stressful flight may lead to serious, if not life-threatening problems for the dog!
    Sedated animals need to be monitored pretty much constantly, and I would be terrified of the consequences if there was a problem half way into a 5 hour flight.
    This is one of the reasons that some airline refuse to carry certain breeds, particularly the brachycephalic ones (short-nosed dogs, i.e. pugs, boxers etc) because they can't ventilate properly, and may succumb more easily than other dogs to extremes of temperature.

• Advertisement
Advertisement