Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need to get insured for a day

Options
  • 28-07-2009 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭

Friend bought a car so I'm going to collect it with him and drive it back (2 hour drive)

Where is the best place for me to get insured on it for a day?

I live abroad so can't just transfer my insurance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The easiest way is for the friend to put you as a named driver on their policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Anan1 wrote: »
    The easiest way is for the friend to put you as a named driver on their policy.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

But the car he is buying is one he is buying to do up so there won't be any policy on it for a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Does he have another car? If not, you'll probably have to find somebody else who is prepared to add you to their policy and then transfer their insurance to the car in question for the day. I've never heard of an insurer who will provide a policy for just one day.

He has a car that we are going to get the second car in, and we will be driving that back too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

maybe easier to just get it towed...

will cost a few bob, but takes away all the headaches..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Can you just go to a website like Quinn, get a quote, accept it, and you have a few days to pay? I think you can be covered instantly and then just cancel / don't pay.

Can you just go to a website like Quinn, get a quote, accept it, and you have a few days to pay? I think you can be covered instantly and then just cancel / don't pay.
    Do you not have to pay instantly with CC?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Do you not have to pay instantly with CC?

No, you can do it over the phone and get them to start your policy immediately and you have a few days to pay. Just cancel the policy the next day.

But you can be done by the garda for not displaying an insurance disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

With my insurance (AXA) I was able to switch temporally my current insurance on car A to car B, to pick her up in the UK last week-end.

I just called AXA, thinking I would have to pay extra for those 2 days, but no, the lady told me they can do that for free.
    She just took the reg (which was UK reg) of the new car and that was it, no payment.

Only down thing, is that my car A, was not insured for 2 days.

But then it was free...and she stayed parked at home for 2 days.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Number Nine

Friend bought a car so I'm going to collect it with him and drive it back (2 hour drive)

Where is the best place for me to get insured on it for a day?

I live abroad so can't just transfer my insurance

The AA in Dublin used yo issue ZZ Plate , they have one day third party only insurance policy that is issued with the plate.

Senna wrote: »
    No, you can do it over the phone and get them to start your policy immediately and you have a few days to pay. Just cancel the policy the next day.

But you can be done by the garda for not displaying an insurance disk.
    Ok thanks i'll try that, any idea how long they will allow you to wait to pay?

Will they take CC details anyway to cover you and not charge it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Tell them you dont have a credit car or lazer, and you will post a cheque. Think they give you 7 days to pay.

Senna wrote: »
    Tell them you dont have a credit car or lazer, and you will post a cheque. Think they give you 7 days to pay.
    Going to try that so thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Just out of curiousity, if you go down the route of asking for insurance, but then not paying, if the worst happens, what do you do then? I presume you'd then have to pay for the full year?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭stuckinarut

i think it makes sense to go named on his policy and drive his current car back while he drives the new one..most policies will cover him to be 3rd party on other cars..then no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

i think it makes sense to go named on his policy and drive his current car back while he drives the new one..most policies will cover him to be 3rd party on other cars..then no problems
    The 3rd party cover is only for cars they don't own. Once the op's friend buys the car they will be driving uninsured.

Advertisement