Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa Brera 2.4 JTDm

Options
  • 28-07-2009 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

So, the time has come to get shot of my trusty steed - a Koenigsegggggggggggggg 9-3 2.2 tid which has served me well.

I have been itching to get an Alfa for a long time and might now take the plunge. I have been looking at '07/'08 brera's online up north and they seem to be great value for what they are even with the VRT taken into account.

I do decent mileage so it will have to be a diesel - does anyone have any useful info on these cars, are they unreliable (i am willing to make some concessions but don't want to buy a wasps nest)

cheers in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Long Onion wrote: »
    So, the time has come to get shot of my trusty steed - a Koenigsegggggggggggggg 9-3 2.2 tid which has served me well.

I have been itching to get an Alfa for a long time and might now take the plunge. I have been looking at '07/'08 brera's online up north and they seem to be great value for what they are even with the VRT taken into account.

I do decent mileage so it will have to be a diesel - does anyone have any useful info on these cars, are they unreliable (i am willing to make some concessions but don't want to buy a wasps nest)

cheers in advance

Howdy,

I went from a 9-3 2.0t automatic to a 159 2.4 JTDM, and I have to say I miss the petrol engine. On paper the 159 is faster, but the SAAB... sorry, the Koenigsegggggggggggggg seemed (and I suspect is) faster. As you're used to the Diesel you may not have this problem.

I had a problem with - actually I still don't fully know exactly - with a pull to the left on my 159. The Cork main dealers eventually improved it significantly after a year, but that was a year with a new car that didn't feel right.

Be aware also that the 2.4 Diesel 159, and I presume the Brera, just loves to eat front tyres at an alarming rate.

If I could go back I'd go German. And going forward I'll definitely be going german (open to anything except a merc).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Brera will be a great mile muncher. Won't be the fasatest coupe but doesn't cost as much as a very fast car.

All in all a great GT.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

go to alfaowner.com and the majority of owners on there of Breras seem to have the 2.4JTDm

Its a cracker of an engine. I had a 159 sw 2.4JTDm out recently on test for 24hrs and it has some serious pulling power.
    The Brera is a gorgeous car aswell. Stick to black or red though.

I had no issues with the GT and that is based on the older 147. The Brera is based on the 159 and is newer again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Many thanks folks. I have been looking at a black sv in a dealers in the north and am going up to take it for a spin this weekend. I heard that the reliability has improved greatly and as i said because it's a 'heart' purchase as opposed to a 'head' one i am prepared to put a little extra tlc in place but just was looking for some reassurance that it won't turn out to be a money pit.

It has 10,000 miles and a full service history, finished in black leather with brushed aluminium:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

go for it. Very sweet car indeed. I'm jealous!

• Advertisement

I'm jealous!
    me too....

that car could do with the 18" Monza wheels from the GT. I'm not a fan of the current wheels on it but the rest looks superb

How is that price compared to UK?

http://www.usedcarsni.com/27201540

I reckon he'll part with it for £14,500 straight sale - he's saying £15,000 but i think when he sees the cold hard cash he my have a change of heart.He said that he has a few different rims to choose from - i'm not a fan of the ones fitted at all - they do it no justice at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

No way ... A friend of mine has his eye on the very same car. And can I just say now that I'm joking!

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭StillBallygowan

This might be worth a read (from Honest John)

I might cancel the legacy and just head up there myself with the cash I got from the sale of the GT. Always wanted a Black Brera 2.4JTDm...;)

is it the 200 or 210bhp engine? From what I've been reading the 210 is the one to have for a few reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

This might be worth a read (from Honest John)

Honest John has a rep for being a bit of an Alfa Basher, has a habit of highlighting minor faults that effect a few cars.

But I gather he is right about the rear leg room, it is tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Bluefoam wrote: »

Its a coupe , who cares. Im so jealous...I want one. :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

SHINY! *drools*

Only Alfas I love without reservation are the Brera and the full-size 159. So purty... :D

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    me too....

that car could do with the 18" Monza wheels from the GT. I'm not a fan of the current wheels on it but the rest looks superb

How is that price compared to UK?

To be honest, I haven't checked that - is there supposed to be much of a difference between the two? and is there a particular year that they changed?

Cheers

P.S. yes, cancel the legacy and join my soon to be new Brera club:D

Long Onion wrote: »
    To be honest, I haven't checked that - is there supposed to be much of a difference between the two? and is there a particular year that they changed?

Cheers

P.S. yes, cancel the legacy and join my soon to be new Brera club:D

I think some time around 2007 they had the 210bhp released

I think it is marked inside the drivers door somewhere from memory. Ask in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Bluefoam wrote: »

He is, there is literally none.

Edit: This picture shows how little there is...

P1030176.JPG

... with the front seat tilted forward!

Advertisement