Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube videos

Options
  • 28-07-2009 8:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I would be very grateful for some professional advice regarding recording some videos for marketing.
    I have a camcorder and have tried to film short video, talking to the lense but I find this unnatural.
    Video is a new form of marketing for me but I see it is a great way of connecting with people.

Many Thanks

Kevin birchall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Erm....what's your question? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 kevinbirchall

keefg wrote: »
    Erm....what's your question? :confused:
    There's no wonder you are stuck in the crystal maze!

I would like some tips on recording professional looking videos, to connect with people on the web. I am using a camcorder and have little experience.
    Perhaps suggest a book or ways of making myself more comfortable looking at a lense.

yes its a good thing. Social Media Optimization will get you good results.
    Thankyou David.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

There's no wonder you are stuck in the crystal maze!

Hmm...no smiley face but I'll take that comment as a joke :cool:.

I would like some tips on recording professional looking videos, to connect with people on the web. I am using a camcorder and have little experience.
    Perhaps suggest a book or ways of making myself more comfortable looking at a lense.

Books won't help you much, performing well in front of a camera is something you can either do or not. I'm terrible in front of a camera which is why I work on the ugly side.

Try not to think of it as "talking to a lens", perhaps ask a friend or colleague to sit next to the camera and just pretend you are chatting to them.

Sound is very important if you are just doing a monologue to camera (much more important than picture quality). A cheap camera with a built in mic will sound just like that, a cheap camera, especially if you are recording in a room which creates a lot of echo.

I don't know what type of camera you are using but if you really want your videos to have a professional "feel" then you need a camera that can take an external mic source either via XLR or 3.5mm jack. If you can afford it, buy yourself a set of wireless mics (like you see them using on the telly) or at very least a mic with a wind shield that you can hold or put on a stand in front of you.

keefg wrote: »
    Hmm...no smiley face but I'll take that comment as a joke :cool:.

Books won't help you much, performing well in front of a camera is something you can either do or not. I'm terrible in front of a camera which is why I work on the ugly side.

Try not to think of it as "talking to a lens", perhaps ask a friend or colleague to sit next to the camera and just pretend you are chatting to them.

Sound is very important if you are just doing a monologue to camera (much more important than picture quality). A cheap camera with a built in mic will sound just like that, a cheap camera, especially if you are recording in a room which creates a lot of echo.

I don't know what type of camera you are using but if you really want your videos to have a professional "feel" then you need a camera that can take an external mic source either via XLR or 3.5mm jack. If you can afford it, buy yourself a set of wireless mics (like you see them using on the telly) or at very least a mic with a wind shield that you can hold or put on a stand in front of you.
    Thanks Keefg,

Very COOL advice and that was a joke.

I have been looking at a small tie-clip mic with a wind shield and a 6m cable. It means I can sit a bit further away and zoom the camera in so I feel more comfortable.
    I think the more I record the better I'll get at it. Well...that's the plan!

Thanks for your help.

Kev

• Advertisement
Advertisement