Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well done Limerick Firemen!

Options
  • 27-07-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Saw my first ever rescue operation by Limerick Firemen.

Two firemen (in full gear) jumped into the river Shannon and rescued an old man near the courthouse. It was very impressive to see and everyone involved deserves a pat on the back! Hero's!:D

I didn't see how the old man wound up in the river and I hope he makes a full recovery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

He jumped in himself according to someone who saw it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It's a tough job being a fireman and they are one of the few groups that wikll get instant respect from me.

Not only is the training hard to actually become a fireman, each time they go out on a call, they don't know if this is the call where they get injured or worse.

They do everything from the stereotype of getting a cat from a tree to having to deal with fires that must look like Dante's Inferno to a regular person. They get pelted with rocks when they drive into certain parts of Limerick when on calls, and yet they just keep doing their job. Horrific accidents, floods, and pretty much anything inbetween is covered by them.

Some might say that they get paid for it and should just do their job, but when you look at what they earn and compare it to what people earn for sitting on their rear end in an office, then they don't earn a whole lot in relation to the risk involved.

They are one of two groups, the other being nurses, that I would not bat an eyelid to if I heard they were getting payrises, even during a recession.

If the comment about the old man jumping is true, then I hope that he gets the help he needs, because for a person to reach the level of despair to want to just end it like that in this day and age without any percieved (by them) way out of their problems is just a reflection on how society can turn a blind eye. But that is a debate for another time methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Anyone caught throwing a rock at a Fireman should be sterilised with a rusty, blunt butter knife......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

My uncle/godfather is a fireman with the Limerick service and he has told me some horrible stories. They definitely earn their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Melion wrote: »
    My uncle/godfather is a fireman with the Limerick service and he has told me some horrible stories. They definitely earn their money.

I'd well believe it. Hats off to the fire service. Bunch of legends.

• Advertisement
Advertisement