Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

next step in a telescope?

Options
  • 27-07-2009 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hi all,winter isnt to far away and another few months of star gazing,ive been into astronomy last 3 years,i have a meade etx 70at{lidl} and celestron powerseeker{argos}.i have to say the meade is a brillant telescope,value for money,good view of saturn ,i dont like the celestrons mount,bit shakey,or maybe that wos me from the cold,im looking to step it up a bit,i wana see more.what would b the best step up scope?without spending thousands,maybe under 600.even second hand.thanx for looking and any info welcome.

Comments

If you've a budget of €600 you'll get a very nice telescope. I'll give you a few of what I'd go for.

This Celestron Omni XLT 150 is a 6" reflector with a great solid equatorial mount (although it isn't motorised). It'd be a great step up, and it's only €400.

This Celstron Schmidt-Cassegrain is a nice little scope too. It's 5 inches, and it won't be as powerful as the above reflector, but it is a lot more portable, and it's a tad over €600.

If you'd prefer a refractor, this Celestron would be a good choice.

It depends what you want, really. If you prefer observing planets a refractor is better, while a reflector/catadioptric is better for deep sky observations (because of the ability to get a larger aperture for less money). For €600, you could possibly get a 10" or maybe even a 12" Dobsonian reflector, which is, as far as aperture is concerned, the greatest value for money. The only downside is the, in my opinion, clumbsy alt/az mount.

I'd stay away from computerised systems: they cost more for less performance. You only need a computerised/motorised system for astrophotography, really.

I only gave the above links because they're all available from Astronomy Ireland's shop, which is handy because of its relative locality. If I had to choose any, I'd go for the 6" reflector. It comes in at only €400 euro, leaving you some money to get some nice eyepieces and accessories.

If you've any particular questions, just say.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

I'm going to second the Omni XLT 150. I've owned this scope for a number of months now. I love it to bits. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Hauk wrote: »
    I'm going to second the Omni XLT 150. I've owned this scope for a number of months now. I love it to bits. :)

I'm looking to invest in a good reflector soon, how does the omni do on planetary detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

If you've a budget of €600 you'll get a very nice telescope. I'll give you a few of what I'd go for.

I'd go for the 6" reflector. It comes in at only €400 euro, leaving you some money to get some nice eyepieces and accessories.

Hi All

Just catching up on recent posts :)
    I almost bought an Omni XLT 150 , lovely scope
    But got a beautiful 2nd hand Celestron C8 N in mint condition
    over on http://www.irishastronomy.org/cms/forum , from Mark
    at a great price

You meantioned Eyepieces -JammyDodger-

Great EP`s here , fab prices !
    http://www.owlastronomy.com/exwide.htm

Stargate

Hi efla.

The only planets I've viewed through it are Saturn and Jupiter. I can easily make out the rings of Saturn, and that was with the standard 25mm eyepiece I got with the scope(I didn't purchase more eyepieces until Saturn had gone down). I got a crisp image of the globe and the rings, which was wonderful.

I had my first view of Jupiter in less than optimum conditions about two weeks ago. I tried the 25mm and was able to make out the globe and the 4 moons.

Then I pushed the mag to a 9mm lens, and it effectively doubled what I was looking, a lovely sight of the moons and planet.

I then pushed it to the 6mm lens with a 2x barlow, which made it 250x magnification, and I was able to make out the cloud bands on the planet.

But I must stress, I was looking at Jupiter in very un-favourable conditions, so I am waiting for a break in these goddamn clouds so I can get a decent look.

I'm waiting for my first look of Mars through it, so I'll let you know when I get decent conditions. :)

Hauk

• Advertisement

Hiya Hauk
    Howya doing today?

Pretty poor weather in Cork again , i think its the same all over :(

My sis is on hols in Spain at the mo and sent a lovely pic of them on the beach with a clear BLUE sky as a backdrop lol , heartbreaking weather here day after day .Specailly when you want to do some viewing

Stargate

I'm doing grand.

It is heart-breaking. Night after night of clouds. We must be in to a few weeks now. :(

Oh well, I'm sure we'll be rewarded.

I'm doing grand.

LoL Hauk , you mean really rewarded. :)

Thats the best news iv had all week haha
    Tnx Hauk

Stargate

I don't understand. What good news was I giving? o_0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jamie crx

thanx for the info lads,i mite invest in the omni range,but i am curious in a dob telescope,seems u get alot for ur money.apart from there size,is a dob hard to use,or just point and look?

• Advertisement

I'm doing grand.

It is heart-breaking. Night after night of clouds. We must be in to a few weeks now. :(

We gonna get 3 months of sunshine , clear skies at night , and win the lotto Hauk , now thats what i call really rewarded lol

Thanks for the reply by the way

Regards
    Stargate

Advertisement