Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Prophecies of Nostradamus

Options
  • 27-07-2009 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

anyone here ever read this famous (or infamous) book of predictions from the 16th century?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

yes, its sitting on my shellf with all my other odd books :)

why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

just wondering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

They're so vague you can make what you want of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

And that one about the fall of the twins (9/11 refrence) had a date on it after the man himself died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Yeah read some of his writings.My verdict-complete balderdash

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

After his massive FAIL in july 1999 (his only quatrain that actually specified a date, I dont give any credibility to any of Nostradamus ramblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I have it hear. I have read the sections that relate to past events and I cant even see how people get predictions out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

His quatrains are so ambiguous, and many of the translations have been found to be severely flawed.
    It's easy to look back and make certain ones fit in somehow with past events, but there are no serious predictions of any definite events in the future.

It's always the case that after something happens, somebody picks up the book and interprets something so that it fits, but does anyone ever pick it up and see what a quatrain actually suggests about the future?

Not that I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ben bedlam

It has always, and will always be, completely impossible for any human being to accurately predict the future in any way. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Well, I wouldn't make such a sweeping and all encompassing comment as that.

However I would hold that if someone had that ability, and decided to write down the predictions so that they would be recorded for posterity, why would they encode them so that they couldn't be understood?

What would be the point of ever writing them down at all?

There are far better ways of keeping secrets than writing them in a book for all to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

His 'predictions' seem to be based on hindsight and the human brain's inability to see random things. Our brain almost always sees a pattern or shape were none exists.. such as when we see shapes in clouds when we are younger. The same princable, it looks like, applies here.

I, however, don't like giving opinions based on prejudice and content in merely saying that he may or may not have had some way of seeing certain patterns in history that many would not have seen, and believed them to repeat themselves.

Based on this, giving an accurate 'prediction' would be difficult, therefore not to be expected as exact.

Then again it could be all a load of nonsense and coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

I'm pretty sceptical about him and his theories - they've been misinterpreted numerous times to 'fit' what has happened since he made them, so who knows like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

was just watching a history channel "documentary" about nostradamus and 2012 last night. it was embarrassing i have to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

absolute bullsh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭patrickthomas

Read it too years back, came to same conclusion, Rubbish

If you give vague predictions which are open to interpitation and you have infinity for them to happen. There is a good chance they will happen :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I predict that this thread will fizzle out after a while and in the mean time someone will have a spot of good luck. It might rain too.

Advertisement