Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps nest photos..

Options
  • 27-07-2009 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not even sure this is the correct forum for this, however I thought it very interesting.

Story, I had a wasps nest removed from my garden shed this morning and had some photos taken of the inside of the nest.

So here goes for anyone interested.

attachment.php?attachmentid=86193&stc=1&d=1248723285

attachment.php?attachmentid=86190&stc=1&d=1248723064

attachment.php?attachmentid=86191&stc=1&d=1248723142

attachment.php?attachmentid=86192&stc=1&d=1248723185

Yuk!.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

cool looking, looks huge, your garden must have been a no go zone when it was there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Slumlion

I never knew wasps had such cool nests,
    speaking of wasp's I have not seem many at all this year compared to other years

Yh me neither, not as many bees or wasps around anymore. I hate wasps, i run around like a girl when the go anywhere near me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Slumlion

I know ,I dont mind bee's, but I despise the wasp's I remember one summer about 5 years ago there was a mega invasion of them I got stung for the first time,and the boll*x stung me for nothing,one nearly went into my ear aswell that summer it was a nightmare

Yh havent been stung yet and dont plan on it. Yh bees just leave you alone but wasps go for you just for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I've hated wasps nests ever since I saw "My Girl"

....or was that bees.....

same thing, either way they're jerks!

bees will only attack you if you annoy them, wasps are evil little fe%kers who sting you on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just out of interest.....how much did that call out cost??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd a similar sized wasp nest removed from attic 3 years ago - it cost €150. The following year I had another smaller one removed.

But this year I haven't seen a wasp yet - but that's probably because the summer here in Ireland has been so dry with intense sunshine that I haven't been able to go out......... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Wasps chase candy floss, ice cream, bloody anything. Can't stand them. Bee's are fine unless they make their way into your house.

We couldn't survive without bees as Einstein said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

We have a tree in our front garden which has ant cows on it these little black bugs that secrete a sugary liquid it is dropping on to a small bush underneath there must be about a couple of hundred wasps on it.The bush is right beside the gate so lots of movement in and out they dont bother anyone.The reason they are a nuisance at this time of the year wasps are not needed at the nest anymore and just crave sugar candyfloss jam and perfumes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

My wife just rang me, she said there are loads of wasps buzzing around inside the shed today. Now I was in there most of the day yesterday and didnt see even one, so i take it they have only started to go in there today.

Do you think its OK to keep the doors closed for a few days to stop them coming in and nesting ?

And they have hardly nested already ?

Any thoughts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I suspect the wasps you are now seeing are the ones that have been left to die, when the queen migrated.

I had a wasps nest in my porch roof all summer. They didn't bother anyone, and since I didn't locate the exact position of the nest until early August, I left them alone, since I was under the impression they would die off at the end of August/early September.

I walked out the door a couple of days ago, and found about a dozen dead or dying wasps lying on the ground.

Is it my imagination, or have they been active for longer than usual this year?

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Thanks

Wasps gone now, for another year at least.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I have to say Like them or hate them bees and wasps are amazing builders..real works of art..:cool:

I found an abandoned bees nest last year it the sheer size of it was unbelieveable for little bugs to create and really beautiful...

Advertisement