Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free-fee scheme???

Options
  • 27-07-2009 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

I know there is a huge chance that the free-fee scheme will be discontinued this year but in the meantime how does one apply to it? I know about the requirments but not how to apply.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Fees are coming in next year.

You don't really need to apply. Afaik they check your eligibility at registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

There is still nothing confirmed as far as I was aware, with a "promise" from the DE&S to announce it all before end of July.

Anyone got a link otherwise though? Maybe I missed something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

July of this year? I don't think so. Maybe at one point.

No, it's not official yet. O'Keeffe wants a loan system but a decision from the cabinet isn't expected until September. And even that will probably get pushed back until after Lisbon II. Whatever they decide will be implemented in the December budget. So it won't come into effect until September 2010 at the earliest.

My big question is whether students entering third level this year will be liable for fees for the remainder of their course. O'Keeffe suggested in February that this was his desire. Then the students unions piped up and he seemed to back down. But the IT was still repeating this as his intention up to a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

:mad:I hope to god that they didn't bring fees back in!!!!:mad:

:confused:Did they mention anything about bringing fees back in the "An Bórd Snip Nua" report by that know it all economist???????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

1) I take it the student intake in September 09 still qualify for free fees?

2) any idea when the free fees goes how will it work, will we have to pay all or a portion of the fees upfront or pay it back out of wages in later years?

• Advertisement

1) I take it the student intake in September 09 still qualify for free fees?
    Yes - for the 2009/10 academic year at least. After that who knows.

As I said above, O'Keefe initially said he wanted to nab fees from this year's entrants for subsequent years of their course. But I doubt anything will come of this.
    2) any idea when the free fees goes how will it work, will we have to pay all or a portion of the fees upfront or pay it back out of wages in later years?
    Probably a loan system like Australia. So once you earn over, say, 20,000 it will start coming out of your wages. Interest will probably build up on it as well. It's a terrible idea. Unless your rich in which case you can pay up front and get a discount.

Advertisement