Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfboard advice!!!

Options
  • 27-07-2009 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

Hey every1,

I'm a fourteen yr old who is thinking of starting surfing. I'm bout 5'1" and weigh 6st 11lbs. I've surfed twice before, once in Delphi on school tour and today with Lahinch Surf School's Kilkee branch, and I enjoyed it both times. Both times on Swell foamies. After surfing today, i talked to instructor and he didn't recommend a foamie. Then I went to Kilkee Dive Centre and inquired about a board. They didn't sell boards but one worker surfed himself and advised a 6'6" or 6' 8" for me. He didn't like the idea of a foamie either. Then I went to another shop who sold foamie kits with a bag and leash and they were, €165 for a 7' or €180 for 7' 6". They also had a second hand 6'3" quiksilver shortie for €300 but they reckoned I could get it for <€250. It had, I quote,"Minor damage to the nose." They weren't actually selling it themselves. They were displaying it in their shop for a friend who was. They didn't know if it included a leash and bag or not but they said they'd ask their friend and tell me tomorrow...

Advice is greatly welcomed here!?!:confused:

Regards,
    Jack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Man i wish i started surfing when i was 14, your lucky!

If I were you i wouldnt bother with that quiksilver board. That 7' foamie deal for 165 looks like a good deal. Great value. If your on a tight budget then that looks like a winner and when you outgrow it you'll probably sell it on easy for at least 100 which you can put towards another board.

Alternatively if you have a bit more cash then maybe get a Bic board package here maybe: http://www.kingofwatersports.com/item.do?item=93&pad=1&chgcur=2

good luck with it man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Lad,
    You'll waste your money on a foam board the small ones are for kids and you'll progress beyond it in a few days. Also they will have a very poor resale value. Your luck to be starting so young that you'll take it up quickly.

Don't rush it, go into some of the shops in Lahich.... and see what they have. Check the buy and sell section on irishsurfer.com and on longboardireland.com

You could even put up a wanted add - reckon if you ask on LBI you'll get something lots of the lads there have old board gathering dust that they'd be happy to sell. For you 6'6 ish is ok by don't het a performace "semi-gun" it'll be way to narrow. Something 20 ish inchs wide is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Thanks spaceHopper,

Looked on irishsurfer.com and asked for more info about a 6'6" shortboard made of epoxy and EPS. Couldn't find a longboardireland.com. Is this it (homepage.eircom.net/~longboardireland/new/)?

Here is ad
    Moving abroad. Selling all my boards.

6'0" Quad fish. Immaculate condition. This board is quite wide and fat and catches waves super easy - 250 Euro

6'6" Shortboard. EPS & epoxy. Very light. Few small dings that have been fixed. 150 euro.

6'10" mimi gun. This board is for when the waves get larger than usual. Again EPS and epoxy so board is light and strong. 200 Euro

Email me for photos and more details

Any opinions:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

EPS and epoxy is a newer way of making boards for the last 20 odd years 99% of boards were made from polyurethane foam and glassed with fibre glass cloth soaked in polyester resin. Epoxy is stronger but mush more expensive, and if they use EPS (expanded polystyrene foam) it makes a lighter stronger board.

If I were you I’d stay away from that kind of board for now, if you get a ding and you will learning to surf, it has to be fixed immediately with EPS otherwise it will soak up water and become water logged. PE foam does soak up water but not as badly and will normally dry out. Some beginner boards are also epoxy but they are very strong and should be fine.

As for the quad fish it could be a modern shape in which case maybe but if it’s a big old skool fish then now you’ll be struggling in bigger surf.

Do some research on line this is a good site http://www.surfing-waves.com

What surf shops are near by go in for a look and a chat

Also yea that LIB

How do dings occur??? Sorry I'm a total nube!!!

• Advertisement

What surf shops are near by go in for a look and a chat

In Kilkee at the moment, about 35 mins from Lahinch, might call up in the next few days. Then when I go home to Limerick, might call into Tubes.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Dings occur when you bang your board of something, custom boards (ie fibreglass) are much more sensitive to damage that plastic pop-outs or epoxy boards.

My advice is to head to one of the shops in Lahinch, would recommend Tom at Lahinch Surf Shop or Stuey in the Green Room and have a chat, it is closer to Kilkee than Limerick.

Would recommend something above 7' for any beginner, even yourself.

My advice is to head to one of the shops in Lahinch, would recommend Tom at Lahinch Surf Shop or Stuey in the Green Room and have a chat, it is closer to Kilkee than Limerick. Would recommend something above 7' for any beginner, even yourself.

Will do in the next few days!!! Thanks Old Guy!!!! Hahahaha

bought 7' foamie... Shop had end of season half price sale so got everything, including bag, leash and fins, for €90...

EDIT: It is about 20 to 21" wide...

Advertisement