Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyphenation and ranking

Options
  • 27-07-2009 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

How does hyphenation affect ranking?

Would houserepairs.com and house-repairs.com be treated the same? Can the search engines always parse joined words (without the hyphen) apart if they are dictionary words?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/dashes-vs-underscores/

seems that google likes - in domain names and _ in page url's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Pretty much treated the same - if it has the keywords in the domain name to match the phrase, then it has an advantage. Just to keep in mind that therefore "CheapBallsbridgehotels.com" might be better than "valueballsbridgehotels.com". My point is that SEO is a lot more than just the biggest small term phrase - its actually very broad. I tend to monitor serps in terms of hundreds, not tens.

Many other factors are more important - like IBL's and Age. I have a localised site for BER that outranks the site of the same domain name for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

One item to keep in mind - given the hypernation arguement. whats easier for your customers or potenntial customers to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

Thanks for all your comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

blue4ever wrote: »
    One item to keep in mind - given the hypernation arguement. whats easier for your customers or potenntial customers to remember.

Do people remember them ? this is about SEO - you can always have a brand-name URL with a 301 to your site. You can brand away all day once you get people to your site - its the getting people to the site in the first place that matters...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

CCSL wrote: »
    http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/dashes-vs-underscores/

seems that google likes - in domain names and _ in page url's

Don't know how you got that from the Matt Cutts article.

But anyway - I'd always use "-" over "_" - if you use the matt cutts article as an example of why I'd use "-" for keywords.

I also wouldn't rely on Google to assume what keywords you are targeting by having it all as one word without a "-".

A good example of why is "ExpertsExchange.com" - which Google could in theory interpret as "ExpertSexChange.com".
    link8r wrote: »
    Do people remember them ? this is about SEO - you can always have a brand-name URL with a 301 to your site. You can brand away all day once you get people to your site - its the getting people to the site in the first place that matters...

I'd agree with blue4ever here about the domain being memorable. I would put more focus on a good domain that people can remember over a keyword littered one.

You can still get people to the site without a keyword littered domain name.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Stevokenevo

From what I understand, an hyphen is regarded as a space (i.e. nothing) and means the hyphenated words will be treated as 2 individual words, while using an underscore will prompt Google to see both words together.

Advertisement