Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do? want to do social care..

Options
  • 27-07-2009 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi...I'm a mature student..only 32 but am looking to do a course in social care/studies/science. Having looked at some websites it appears I am too late to apply to colleges for place, is there any courses I could do now leading on to get a college place for next year...so I'm not wasting a year waiting. I'm currently unemployed and just finished a fas course in accounts, would love some feedback. Does anyone know if I would be entitled to keep my jobseekers benefit if I do get on a course?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Have a look at qualifax.ie It has a database with FETAC courses. Something like this one offered at Drogheda Institute of Further Education. http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=66

Not sure where you're located but I'm sure somewhere near you would offer a course similar to this one. I would also contact the colleges you are interested in attending and find out about mature student applications and what they are looking for. They may want work experience/voluntary work. (Its no harm to have either way!)

I'm not sure about the Jobseeker's Benefit. Best check that information out at your local SW office or Citizens Information Bureau.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shell022

hi,
    Don't know where your from but i did a 2 year course in Colaiste Dhulaigh in coolock in applied social studies. i recieved a HND. i then actually went to england to go straight into 3rd year of an hons degree in social care. i'm now going into my first year of a social work course(which is why i did all the previous work). However some girls from my two year course went straight into 2nd and 3rd year of Social care courses in DIT, sligo and drog i think.. i think you might still be in time.. worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mrsdaisymay09

thanks a mill for the replies, I'm in Louth and would ideally prefer to go to Dundalk IT...they offer a Bachelor of Arts in Applied Social Studies in Social Care which I would love to do but unfortunately it is through CAO only.I have contacted Dkit but have not heard back as yet.

Larianne was it this course you attached? Applied Social Studies in Drogheda Institute of Further Education DCHSX - Community and Health Services for one year...this looks brilliant and exactly what I'm looking for..if only I could get through to them. Has anyone any other knowledge of courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

thanks a mill for the replies, I'm in Louth and would ideally prefer to go to Dundalk IT...they offer a Bachelor of Arts in Applied Social Studies in Social Care which I would love to do but unfortunately it is through CAO only.I have contacted Dkit but have not heard back as yet.

Larianne was it this course you attached? Applied Social Studies in Drogheda Institute of Further Education DCHSX - Community and Health Services for one year...this looks brilliant and exactly what I'm looking for..if only I could get through to them. Has anyone any other knowledge of courses?

Ring them up to get a better response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mrsdaisymay09

Larianne wrote: »
    Ring them up to get a better response!

I spent y/day afternoon trying to get through to them by phone but only ans machine...hope to have better luck this morning when I call into them face to face. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi Daisy

I went back last year as a Mature Student (I use that term loosely :)) and had a great time. Going into my second year in IT Sligo in Sept.

Can you go and do some sorm of Access course for a year, especially since you want to go into social care? Just did a quick search and got these courses. Maybe you can contact the collages themselves and ask is there a prep course you can do before you commence studies.

Best of luck with it.

http://www.gotocollege.ie/search.html?keyword=social%20care&strict=no&timescale=day

Advertisement