Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Vaccinations

Options
  • 27-07-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi, I have a 9 week old pup and am just wondering what vaccines she needs and when. At 7 weeks old, she got her first primary vaccination for lepto and parvo, I think there is a 7 in 1 vaccine or something she needs now? I'm aware she needs boosters after that annually? Any advice appreciated, thanks.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Have you brought her to the vet yourself or was her last vaccine done with her previous owner? You should have a list of what she's had so far. And then your vet will be able to work out when next to give her what.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Hi caroline,

What kind of puppy do you have and more importantly do you have pics :D

With my pup he got the first round of vacs at 6 weeks (a 5 in 1). When I took him to my vet she said because he was so young the mothers antibodies would still have been in his system and broken down the vaccine rendering it useless.
    The only thing of use would have been the parvo out of it.

I got his first 7 in 1 at 8 weeks and his booster at 11 weeks(my vet recommended leaving it a bit later to admin the booster).
    I found vets vary though as well with the vaccinations you need. some do them at 8 and 10 weeks, others 10 and 12 weeks.
    There's usually a vac followed by a booster two weeks later.

So as star-pants said it's best to ring and ask your vet what vacs they do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

If I was you, I'd shop around for prices too. Vets vary greatly in the prices they charge for different items. I got my dog microchipped, vaccinated (first shot and then a booster) and checked over for €88. €18 for the microchipping and €35 for each injection. The microchipping was cheaper because the vet did a special offer where it was cheaper if you were getting vaccinations.

Another vet had quoted me €130. Another €120. And I don't think they could have given any better service than the vet I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

very good point by Lemlin.

my vacs were 69 euro for the two and included a full health check other vets were extortionate in comparison!!

Advertisement