Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfboard Repair/New board?

Options
  • 27-07-2009 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I bought a 7' 4" Rusty short surfboard in San Diego in the summer of 2007 for $50 it is a really nice board, some guys told me you could pay up to 750- 800 euro for it brand new in Ireland.
    It was really really banged up though which is why I got it so cheap. When I brought it back to Dublin I brought it to a surf shop and asked for it to be repaired. A lot of holes were filled in but there are still loads of small cracks and holes and there are dozens of weird indents on the base. When I check it closely the centreline has a crack along it as well. You can see the water running around underneath the deck of the board when I get home from surfing. With a board this damaged how long a life can you expect to get? and should I attempt to get it fixed again or should I just cut my losses and get a new board? I intially thought I would just surf it until it literally fell apart and then get a new one, but does this kind of damage affect the performance much?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Id say its not far from falling apart totaly, and you could be seriously wasting your money on repairs, would be advisable to keep it as a handy second board to give to a mate when you go surfing or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

I'ld agree with Neon, but I would advise trying to fix a few dings and other damage yourself. It will help the board 's life and you will get great practice on a board that sounds like its fairly fecked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

If water is getting into the board, in amounts that you can actually see it running down under the glass, it means the foam is getting water logged and the board is getting heavier. Where is the board based, it might still be worth talking to a good repairer, like Bill Keane in Lahinch, if you really like the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Suits69

Its based in Mayo near Westport. It does actually feel heavier than it should:(. I have resin at home so i might just try and fix as many dings as I can to get as much use out of it as possible and then just use it as a back up board for friends etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

try putting it in a dry/warm place, like near a radiator, leave to dry for about a week then do your repairs. You could use duct tape and could surf it about 7 or 8 times that way. But as i said before this is a good second board to have when bringing a friend surfing with you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement