Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on This Scope?

Options

Comments

It's nice for its price, alright. I personally wouldn't buy it though, as the mount would drive me mad.

If you'd be willing to spend twice as much (~€150) you'd get a telescope that's 10 times better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Why would the mount drive you mad-any examples of a scope dats 10 times better? Thanks!!

Why would the mount drive you mad

Simply because it's very unusual and you'd have to use it on a table or something. The mount is, to be honest, a pure gimmick.
    any examples of a scope dats 10 times better? Thanks!!

Have a look at this page, look specifically at the second (Astromaster 114 EQ) and the third (Astromaster 130 EQ) telescopes. Each is a lot better than the one you were going to go for -- although the first one is twice the price and the second one is €200.

There isn't a huge difference between both of those suggestions, but if you're going for one and you have the extra €35 to spare, go for the second of the two (the third telescope on that page).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dave Lillis

Hi,
    That scope is very small, almost a toy really, you wont see alot through it, but then again its not costing you the earth either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Consider the astromaster, you could get you second hand on IFAS or something and theyre a great starter scope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just looking at the 130 EQ myself, what could I expect to see with it? I know Mars is currently getting close and will be about 40m Km away in January and won't be within 100m Km again until January 2011.

Would I be able to see Jupiter's 4 biggest moons for example.

Also about how big of a package would the 130EQ be, not too big I hope.

Just looking at the 130 EQ myself, what could I expect to see with it? I know Mars is currently getting close and will be about 40m Km away in January and won't be within 100m Km again until January 2011.

You probably wouldn't be able to see great detail on Mars (you can't really on all but the largest amateur telescopes). You'd be able to see a reddish tinge alright.
    Would I be able to see Jupiter's 4 biggest moons for example.

Yah, very easily.
    Also about how big of a package would the 130EQ be, not too big I hope.

It weighs about two stone in total, which isn't too heavy. This picture puts its size into perspective, it isn't too large as you can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Thanks All! Better scopes there alright!

Advertisement