Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access Programme

Options
  • 27-07-2009 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hey All,

I was looking for some advice, I am 25 and I am considering applying for Third level and was wondering if anyone has previously attended any of the access programmes that are around; and if so did they find the extra year beneficial? Do the colleges take this year into consideration when assessing potential candidates? Or am I better off just applying as a mature student and not taking part in an access programme?:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I did the UCD Access Course this year. I had previously applied and been declined a place as a mature student. I was 25 as well and really didn't think I needed to do a "back to education" course. But I have to say I'm glad I did it. And I got my place for September.
    Do the colleges take this year into consideration when assessing potential candidates?
    Absolutely. In the case of UCD you are guaranteed a place if you get over 60 percent. But even without a guarantee I'd say all the universities look favourably on access courses as they are specifically made to prepare students for third level. If nothing else it's a little bit of practice at things like essay format, sourcing and referencing, which are very important at third level. I think knowing them in advance will give you a big advantage over school leavers.
    Or am I better off just applying as a mature student and not taking part in an access programme?
    Depends if you've got some other course/experience that you can point to. I think universities want to see proof that you can stick a course out. And younger mature students like us can sometimes be at disadvantage since we may not have much equivalent experience to point to. At least that's why I think I was declined the first time.

So I would recommend it, especially as there's going to be a lot of competition for mature student places next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I think universities want to see proof that you can stick a course out.
    This is definitely a reason to do the Access course. It shows it hasn't been a decision made on a whim and going to third level is a natural progression you are aiming for.

I definitely agree with what Sad Professor has said above. I also did an access course at UCD, Science & Engineering. And I got offered a place at both Trinity and UCD, so it's not limited to just UCD.

Personally, the course has given me confidence that I'll be able for the course in September. I was terrible (well I thought) at Maths at school - I got 92% in my exam. I also came away with a liking for Chemistry. The study skills classes were very good and something that I will keep up.

I aslo think there will be a greater number of mature students applying next year, doing an access course will help with your application. But don't count on it alone, especially if you're applying to a course with few places for mature students. Contact the department and see what is required for mature students. Get work experience if possible or voluntary work.

As it's part-time it will allow you to save for next year too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Athene

Thanks guys that is really helpful, I also has not realised that you do the programme part time. Yeah I think it is a good idea to do a prep course as it shows your serious about committing to the course and also it will give you an idea yourself of what to expect. I think I really wanted to make sure that theay are worthwhile I would feel so deflated if I spent a year preparing for college and then after applying I get turned down, you have however put my m ind at ease. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Advertisement