Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a childs playhouse.

Options
  • 27-07-2009 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Hi all I would like to build my son a wooden playhouse. I know it would be prob cheaper to buy one but would prefer to make one for him. just wondering if anybody has any advice or may have done this before. If anybody knows of any designs to look at i'd really appreciate it!!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

One of the guys here built a playhouse for his daughter, have a look through the older posts it should be about somewhere. He did nice job of it too, using old pallets for the most of it I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I bought one of those woodworking plans CD's off eBay. About a fiver, well worth the money but you'd need months to look through all the plans. If I find any good ones I'll pm you. What sort of size are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm making one at the moment. Hence, I'm looking for half-posts in this forum.

I started off with 4x 75mm posts in the ground (all pressure treated) and braced them with more 75mm posts.
    I've added flooring on the top which is just decking and placed a plastic slide on the front. Effectively I have a 'castle' with a matching ladder.

It's not complete yet, but nearly there.

I'd say you would be best off looking at some of the local playgrounds for ideas and then look in some of the local wood suppliers to see what they have available.
    You need to be cautious with the structure of the main frame - it needs to be secure - after that it's as wild as your imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

One of the guys here built a playhouse for his daughter, have a look through the older posts it should be about somewhere. He did nice job of it too, using old pallets for the most of it I think.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055540694

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I was thinking may something along the lines of 6x6 and had thought of elevating it onto a stilts structure with ladder up to it and slide out of other side but i think it could leave it too exposed to elements plus if i have another child they wont really be able to use it for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Just checked through one of those Mega Plans CD's off eBay and found a folder with about a twenty playhouse plans, good mix and about 5-6 really good designs, a very posh victorian playhouse, traditional wendy house and a playfort are some of the better ones. If you can PM me your email address I can email it to you. Don't expect it too quickly as I'm dialup at home and its a 10Meg folder so I'll mail it to you when I "borrow" a faster connection next time I'm in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Here's my effort:
    http://pix.ie/10-10-20/1126453
    A lot done, more to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hey folks thanks a million for your help so far!!! some fairly impressive DIY jobs on hear. I hope to keep ya updated as soon as i have looked over the plans from ttm and decide which is nicest (translates as easiest!!)

Any other ideas or info please keep it coming

Advertisement