Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 2?

Options
  • 27-07-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭

I started watching the Wire the other day, having listened to people talk it up over the years. Really enjoyed the first season. It was clever and "real" in a way few shows are. No hollywood ending for the characters etc.

I'm on to the second season now and although I'm only a couple episodes in I'm finding it a little dull? Whats the general consensus with the fans. Is season 2 considered a let down or will it pick up after a while?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It seems to be a season that splits people down the middle. I enjoyed it a lot. I think it fits into the overall arc of the show quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Everyone I've talked to has been disappointed with Season 2, I was myself on the first viewing. It's a bit of a slow burner to start off with aswell which might not help matters. Having rewatched it now though I wouldn't say it's any worse than the other seasons.

I don't want to give anything away since you're just starting to watch it but it does pick up. Persevere with it, even if season 2 isn't to your tastes the following seasons make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

I think season two isnt quite as popular with some people due to some of the main characters in the first season taking a backseat aswell as the drug storlines on the corner not getting as much prominence. This is how i felt anyway on first watching season two. The writing is as good as any of the other seasons its just the whole dock setting takes a while to get used to as its such a radical departure from the first season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

There are a lot of changes and it is a bit slower,but it gets really good. I remember on first viewing I felt the same. But when I came around to watching the show for a second time,season 2 is just so much better. You are used to the characters,you see so many things that missed the first time around. On second and even third watch it is a brilliant season,as are all the seasons really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Season two saw The Wire switch from being about a show about drugs, to being a show about a city. It's really fantastic. The best bit is, you get to have great pub discussions with your mates as to whether Frank Sabotka was a good or a bad guy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

In my opinion its the best season, and liking season two is a sign you truly love the wire. Gets better the second viewing so just bear with it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

scop wrote: »
    In my opinion its the best season, and liking season two is a sign you truly love the wire. Gets better the second viewing so just bear with it for now.

Well, I wouldn't go that far, but I do think its one of the best seasons. A slow burner, but it all comes together really well. Kind of the same as each season. With the introduction of new characters and settings, it will always take a bit of getting used to, but when it settles into its groove, Season 2 is outstanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

Well, I wouldn't go that far, but I do think its one of the best seasons. A slow burner, but it all comes together really well. Kind of the same as each season. With the introduction of new characters and settings, it will always take a bit of getting used to, but when it settles into its groove, Season 2 is outstanding
    agreed, didn't like the 1st 30 minutes of season two, then loved it, the change of direction is what throws people for a while, really great characters and story lines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

And it also has Ziggy. I mean who else on TV would buy a diamond encrusted necklace for a duck and then drink it to death???

I didn't like it at first but it definitely grew on me as we got to know what was going on, as did Beadie Russell's character because she hadn't a clue what was going on most of the time and got to ask the questions the audience (well me anyway) weren't sure about, unlike Season 1 when I really didn't know what was happening a lot of the time.

Have just started S3, and to be honest I think the first episode is the same again in that you have to catch up with what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Happynappy

I though season 2 was the best.I didn't think beforehand I'd like the docks storyline but it quickly grew on me. Ziggy was also one of my favourite characters who had both comical yet tragic appeal. I can understand how he would be annoying to a lot of people but I thought he was an interesting character.

I've only 2 eposides left to watch in seires 5 then thats it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Don't be sad! It means you get to start all over again!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You'll actually be amazed at how different it all is second time around. It sounds weird, but its kind of like, the first time you watched it, you watched it to see where it was all going. Second time around, you know where its going, but you see more throughout each episode which really shows you how clever the writing and stuff is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

You'll actually be amazed at how different it all is second time around. It sounds weird, but its kind of like, the first time you watched it, you watched it to see where it was all going. Second time around, you know where its going, but you see more throughout each episode which really shows you how clever the writing and stuff is.
    Agreed, its even better the second time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Loved season 2, taught Ziggy was one of the most original charactors on tv. How many shows would have such an idiot as a main charactor.
    I am sure corruption and dirty deeds exists in this country as well, on the docks in airports. How do drugs get into this country so easily?

Advertisement