Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kilkenny City and County Appreciation Thread

Options
  • 27-07-2009 1:05pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So with all the talk of recession this and that lets have something positive, so post what you like best about Kilkenny be it a business or just a place post why and where.

I'll get the ball rolling....
    Castle Park & Nore Walk:
    First time in ages yesterday I went for a walk in the castle park and I have to say its great, such a big park right in the middle of the city (must be 3-4 times bigger then peoples park in Waterford) with a nice big playground for kids and duck pond at the end of it.

I also walked to the end of the nore walk and its another nice place in Kilkenny, the path is tarmac as far as the old mill riuns which is handy for people in wheel chairs or parents with buggys.

The walk along with the castle park and just great please to get away from the noise of the city. :)

Gowran Reptile Village:
    I visited this a few months back, its not a massive place but its very unique in Ireland. Staff were very pleasant and at the end of the viewing you can hold snakes and dragon lizards, an interesting place to go.

So who's next...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Good idea for a thread and no harm considering it could get a debate or two going. :)

Maybe add a few pics/vids if people have them too?

Castlecomer Discovery Park.
    I go here several times a year and I still love the place. Well recommended for a visit.

A3FA212E4BE14FF7B904D17C0508A02B-500.jpg

CAE24C1EBC794957917724B57C1B0D0A-500.jpg

The view of the River Nore, John's Bridge and the castle.
    Not many places can boast of the fantastic view that we have.

3092637711_3fe03a1bab.jpg?v=1228765283

St. Canice's Church and Round Tower.
    A round tower in the centre of town with loaded with history.
    Make sure and climb up the tower though, fantastic views all around.

3116275668_ded9d7a5d5.jpg?v=0

Jenkinstown Woods.
    A great place for a walk with the dogs or to pass an hour. Also hosts a reindeer farm.

3075432242_8f4475645f.jpg?v=0

3075394726_3aa6505880.jpg

The Castle Park.
    Many a time I spent in this park when I should have been in school. Good memories!

E888F07AF6F5440F8F290EC097945E8C-500.jpg

Inistioge.
    A gorgeous village with amazing scenery.

3206386113_04c2519ce8.jpg

Dunmore Caves.
    Very popular with tourists and a great way to pass an hour with a historical insight into KK.

2749950189_83c7faa70d.jpg

Reptile House, Gowran.
    This place will keep you completely occupied for an hour. A little gem of a place
    hidden out in Gowran. It's surprising that not many people know of this place.

2756673380_982ae1302f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Nice pics. Are they yours?

Better than a lot of the ones you'd see on many so-called 'tourism' sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Nice pics. Are they yours?

Better than a lot of the ones you'd see on many so-called 'tourism' sites.

Cheers. Yes, they are all mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Cheers. Yes, they are all mine :)

Those photos are amazing!

The new walk from Riverside Drive along by the river is lovely too, pity there isnt more of a view of the river though. In places the bushes are high and you dont even realise the river is right alongside the path. But its lovely and peaceful and nicely surfaced for buggies and bikes and you can exit at Talbots Inch village and come back to town by the Freshford Rd. Or you can walk on further by the river as far as the rear of Auteven hospital and back to the road through the fields. It gets a bit rougher along this stretch, - more overgrown and unsurfaced but I actually like it better for that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement