Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design/Development - Invoiving a Client

Options
  • 27-07-2009 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place for this topic but I'll have a go anyway.

I'm developing a site for a client as a nixer and was just wondering what is the best way or what ways have any board members invoiced for the work, in terms of VAT etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Are you registered for VAT as an individual?

I do a bit of work on the side, but am registered with the revenue so everything is above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Easy enough to just declare the work as a sole trader at the end of the year in addition to your main job. Just put aside the tax you'd pay, 25%40% on any profit and pay it at the end of the year. You can easily do this on top of your main job and it's easy enough because of ros.ie. Also, if you're going to earn less tahn 36000 (or something like that) in freelance then you don't need to register for VAT which make it less paper work.

Best to pop into the revenue for a chat, they're quite helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭chief_stains

Cheers, thanks for the tips fellas...

No, not registered for VAT as an individual at the moment, think I'll go with p's advice, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

p wrote: »
    Also, if you're going to earn less tahn 36000 (or something like that) in freelance then you don't need to register for VAT which make it less paper work.

Is that in total including your day job or just the freelance stuff?

Was talking to someone in the tax office myself today wondering the same thing.
    They seemed absolutely clueless to what I was asking.

What sort of other charges are there for being a sole trader...

Is it just the 41% of the profit or is there PRSI aswell..

You don't charge your company VAT as an employee, so the two are totally separate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

eoin wrote: »
    You don't charge your company VAT as an employee, so the two are totally separate.
    That's my understanding of it too. :)

My accountant says it's easy enough to do, but I think it's only worth your while if you you don't want customers to know you're bringing in less than 37,500 (or customers to think you're not above board), or obviously if you have a lot of deductable VAT receipts you want to offset.

Advertisement