Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We are on a blacklist!!

• 27-07-2009 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I noticed this morning that our company is on a blacklist.

UCEPROTECT level 1 and level 2.

The disgonise does say that Eircom is at fault and they are hosting a spammy neighbourhood.

We are suffering from people not recieving our emails and it is an issue.

Do you know how we can get of this list, I have been calling Eircom to try and resolve it but to date they havent come back to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

abakan wrote: »
    Morning all,

I noticed this morning that our company is on a blacklist.

UCEPROTECT level 1 and level 2.

The disgonise does say that Eircom is at fault and they are hosting a spammy neighbourhood.

We are suffering from people not recieving our emails and it is an issue.

Do you know how we can get of this list, I have been calling Eircom to try and resolve it but to date they havent come back to me.

You are relaying mail through Eircom.
    One drawback is that if they do not stop spam being sent then all who use them run the risk of getting blocked.

Have you looked at delivering mail directly from your server instead of through a smarthost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

No I have thought about relaying mail through Eircom's smarthosts but email was ok up until 2-3 weeks ago.

Some people in the company asked him why email wasnt being delivered and I checked and UCEPROTECT came up as the one that blacklisted us.

UCEPROTECT is saying that it is not us that is spamming but as we are in a spammy neighbourhood subsequently blacklisted.

Our static IP address was recieved from Eircom in May and this may have been a problem since then and has only come to light now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Hey my Company got this today too.
    We deliver mail directly and our IP is registered as in Eircom's pool of IP's.
    As such the UCEProtect is blocking Eircom and all its customers, which frankly is retraded.

However we are moving to Trend WorryFree so were going to relay through them.

Link to site.
    http://www.uceprotect.net/en/rblcheck.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I came across this crowd uceprotect.net also in the last month, with the same nonsense about being in a spammy neighbourhood.
    I.e. because Eircom has a thousand or so spamming computers within a /13, your mail server will be blacklisted, regardless of whether spam has been sent from it or not.

And they have a "whitelist" where if you pay them a sum of money, your server will be excluded from the blacklist.

Not a practice that should be encouraged, in case it proliferates. So far I've managed to inform the postmasters of companies using UCE level 2 blacklist of the problem and had them add our server to a whitelist. Chances are that their admins see it as just another SPAM blacklist.

UCEprotect's opinion is that eircom should force all their home users to use only port 587 to connect to mail servers, and block port 25 entirely, presumably unless a business demands it.

Or that we should change ISP with all the hassle that entails in the hope that none of them get blacklisted. Only reasonable option that I can see would be to relay outgoing mail through one of the small service providers running a spam cleaning service.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johnmd

Hi
    Do the following
    1.Request a static IP address from Eircom and make sure its not in their dynamic pool.
    2.Add in a corresponding forward in your dns for your companies mail server.
    EG mail.mycompanysdomain.ie
    IN A mail.mycompaniesdomain.ie 123.123.123.123 --use new static here.

3.Then request the addition of a matching PTR record from Eircom.
    4.Then set your DNS to route the email directly.

Being charged to be released from a blacklist is nasty stuff,I do mail filtering for a living and we don't use these guys for our RBL checks
    If you still have a problems drop me a PM.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Anyone got any idea how many people/companies are using this the UCE black list?

Advertisement