Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

altenator or fan belt?

Options
  • 26-07-2009 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

hi, i assume its the fan belt making the noise, just making sure.
    about 3 times now when ive turned on the fan the car screaches for a few seconds.
    i doesnt happen all the time but i want to get it done,
    so fan belt?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When adding load to the electrics the alternator will need to work harder so check the alt belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Is it only when the fan is on?
    Have you tried it with all other eletronics (radio, lights etc) off?

If it is only at the start. Are you sure it's coming from the bonnet and not the fan housing inside the car? Could be a leaf or something in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

What kind of car is it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The fan belt often screeches if its a bit loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭kueef

hi its a clio.
    ya it only comes on when i turn on the fan. it only lasts a few seconds.
    will i need a new fan belt?
    how much aprox would a garage charge for this?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

What fan did you "turn on"?

Was it the heater blower fan inside the car?

If it was (and I suspect it is), that's got sweet bugger all to do with the fan belt. That's the heater motor/blower getting stuck/worn/etc and half the dashboard's going to have to come out to get at it.

The fan belt's a belt in the engine that drives the altanator (spelling) power steering pump, a/c compressor etc off the crankshaft. In years of old, they also drove the fan, hence the name.

ianobrien wrote: »
    What fan did you "turn on"?

Was it the heater blower fan inside the car?

If it was (and I suspect it is), that's got sweet bugger all to do with the fan belt. That's the heater motor/blower getting stuck/worn/etc and half the dashboard's going to have to come out to get at it.

The fan belt's a belt in the engine that drives the altanator (spelling) power steering pump, a/c compressor etc off the crankshaft. In years of old, they also drove the fan, hence the name.

i think it happened when i had the back window heater on aswel,
    i had the inside heater on at the same time.... and tuned them off together.

is it a big job if its the heater motor? how much aprox?

Just to repeat myself, it is most likely the 'fan' (or accessories or alternator) belt that links up with the alternator. When you switch on an electrical load, the belt because it is a bit loose (not much) screeches.
    Assuming I am correct, it will take a mechanic 5 minutes to tighten. If it continues then look at other possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

kueef wrote: »
    i think it happened when i had the back window heater on aswel,
    i had the inside heater on at the same time.... and tuned them off together.

is it a big job if its the heater motor? how much aprox?

Right. That eliminates the heater moto blower. I wanted to make sure that it wasn't a specefic electrial device.

It's as KBannon says, a loose fanbelt. Approx 5 minutes to tighten, including the time for the cuppa.

phew! thats great thanks everyone.:D

• Advertisement

hi, just wondering would it be recommended to get the altenator looked at by a renault garage or would any garage be ok?

two months later!
    did you get the belt tightened? What was the outcome?
    As for a renault garage looking at the alternator, I would put money on it that thye will not know the inner workings of the alternator and simply suggest that its knackered and that you should get a new one. Try a good auto electrician and not a main dealer IMO if you have already had the belt tightened *properly* and nothing improved!

Advertisement