Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Help] Ps1 Disc scratch repairs ?

Options
  • 26-07-2009 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

Can Ps1 discs be repaired ? I've a copy of Spyro and it stalls at the same point in the game. There's some scratches on it.

Does the resurfacing/skip doctor stuff work ? Would the toothpaste/brasso trick be worth a shot ? Or is it knackered ?

Cheers for ne help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Ya can buy it on the PSN store for download for 10euro, if you have a PS3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

I dont see why ps1 discs would be any different to repair than normal cd's or dvds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Nah, ain't got a PS3. Might see if this can get moved to Retro actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Can Ps1 discs be repaired ? I've a copy of Spyro and it stalls at the same point in the game. There's some scratches on it.

Does the resurfacing/skip doctor stuff work ? Would the toothpaste/brasso trick be worth a shot ? Or is it knackered ?

Cheers for ne help

Depends on how deep the scratch is but I can vouch for the toothpaste method from past experience (with PS1 and PS2 disks)...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Toothpaste and a sock has always worked for me. (Never heard of anyone using brasso?)Just make sure you go from the centre of the disc out and back again on the scratched spot.

Not around in circles as that's the way the disc reads.

I had a similar problem recently with a nasty scratch on a ps2 copy of Half Life. Game would just freeze at a certain point. Gave the scratch some lovin' and now it plays perfectly.

• Advertisement

Depends on how deep the scratch is but I can vouch for the toothpaste method from past experience (with PS1 and PS2 disks)...

Cheers, I was just wondering does it matter cause the PS1 disc is black and it's kinda weird like. Black like black magic or something :p
    Anyway, the discs scare me.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Toothpaste and a sock has always worked for me. (Never heard of anyone using brasso?)Just make sure you go from the centre of the disc out and back again on the scratched spot.

Not around in circles as that's the way the disc reads.

I had a similar problem recently with a nasty scratch on a ps2 copy of Half Life. Game would just freeze at a certain point. Gave the scratch some lovin' and now it plays perfectly.

Yeah I read brasso somewhere and my bro. recommended it. The idea is to use some kind of abrasive. I haev used the toothpaste trick on some games before and it's worked, just not PS1 games. I'll give it a go.

Btw, how much toothpaste do you use and how much do you actually leave on the disc ?

Master of the Universe

Rub a pea sized amount in for a few minutes until you can see some kind of effect on the scrach. Wash it off, dry the disc and then try to run the game.

If it doesn't work, repeat until it does ;) Sometimes it can take a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You could take it too a video shop and ask them to resurface it, many of them have a proper machine for this and charge about a fiver, I got a badly scratched copy of NFS2 repaired in one and it worked perfectly, sadly it was still a crap game, ah well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I might get cleaning Gran Turismo 2. The disc is covered in scratches but the toothpaste is worth a shot, seeing as the lynx (deodorant, not atari) didn't work

Master of the Universe

lynx?? hah! There's another odd one. Can't see that doing anything. It goes on the skin so it can't exactly be abrasive.

Just focus on the main scratches anyway. Especially the circular ones that follow the way the disc reads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yep, lynx works great! Spray it on the disc, get something soft and wipe off from centre outwards, not realky for scratches, just for dirty discs

Nah I wouldn't be using any kind of spray, that could be corrosive to the disc. Sure lynx is to be absorbed into the skin as someone said.

Has anyone ever gotten a PS1 disc resurfaced ?

Well it's workd great for me and plenty of others. Just seen an ad for a scratch remover for cars on tv. Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

max burns in tallaght did ff8 for me got the disc perfect but it still froze at the same point

Who's Max Burns ?

See this is the thing with these PS1 discs. They got scratched a helluva lot which I think was to do with the way the disc kept spinning like mad after you turned the console off maybe. But I've an MGS1 and it looks perfect but it stalls at the very end of the game when they get out of the mountain and they're standing there.

Advertisement