Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is RTÉ contractually obliged to...

Options
  • 26-07-2009 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

* Show Lethal Weapon 4 every 27 days

* Send No Frontiers to Nashville every year. And as if the city wasn't boring enough, John Kelly is our tour guide...

* Fill every available timeslot with Father Ted

* Persist with the belief that Podge and Rodge are funny

* Educate us on the daily activities of every disease riddled meerkat in Sub-Saharan Africa

* Show us every single rhino on the planet. Rhino's are endangered, so I'm pretty confident that they're close

* Put Dave Fanning on TV every now and then for fear he will cease to exist as more than a ghostly whine in the hallways of the RTE studios. Likewise with Ray Darcy and a whole host of other......"celebrities"

* Repeat every homegrown comedy series at least three times despite them being excruciatingly painful to sit through on the first run

* Get that annoying motherf**ker to do stupid voices and add them to a collection of poorly chosen clips of an upcoming movie or tv show. You know the guy...

*Fill every available timeslot with Father Ted (I had planned to do 10 but couldn't think of more right now)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Do you know, I don't believe they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its not that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Xabs

mike65 wrote: »
    Its not that good.

What's not?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

They should fill more time slots with Father Ted tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Xabs

phasers wrote: »

Uh...no, to be honest, they shouldn't

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Xabs wrote: »
    Uh...no, to be honest, they shouldn't
    Yes they should - there's surely a gap in the schedule for this show? I don't believe it could ever be shown enough times a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

They do that to punish the powers that be, who ruled that it was not suitable to make, that they made a big mistake and allowing it to go to Channel 4!

robo wrote: »
    They do that to punish the powers that be, who ruled that it was not suitable to make, that they made a big mistake and allowing it to go to Channel 4!
    THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN, it was never offered to RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Fill time slot? If RTE did things properly, there should be only be time slots available after 3am and I'm sure that not many will watch Fr. Ted after 3am.

Something isn't right when you see the likes of a Fr. Ted re-run on a Monday prime time slot and they have the likes of Mad Men on at 2:30 am on a Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Ibrahimovic91

IS RTÉ contractually obliged to tell us about what is happening in an English city when the champions of Irelandare playing in the Champions League?

Cause you can damn bet if it it was Glasgow Celtics or Liverpool they'd have had the ****ing game live.

Are they obliged to every year show the same teams in the Champions League?

• Advertisement

Dman001 wrote: »
    Fill time slot? If RTE did things properly, there should be only be time slots available after 3am and I'm sure that not many will watch Fr. Ted after 3am.

Something isn't right when you see the likes of a Fr. Ted re-run on a Monday prime time slot and they have the likes of Mad Men on at 2:30 am on a Wednesday.
    If RTE scheduled their shows properly and didn't show shyte like Katherine Lynch and Anonymous all the fecking time, I'd agree. Until then RTE can play Ted 24 hours a day for all I care. I saw new King of the Hill on at midnight last week, I mean wtf? Scrubs was also relegated, and they had Ugly Betty (Not everybody's cup of tea, I know ) on at 7PM! RTE have this show well in advance of the UK yet make no use of it.
    Show your crappy Irish comedy at that time ffs. These are quite popular shows as well, I can't understand it.

Also they never advertise any shows properly. What's up with that? I generally just happen to stumble across a decent American import when I'm flicking around late at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 maverick09

Are RTE obliged to make out that GAA is more popular than it actually is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I saw new King of the Hill on at midnight last week, I mean wtf?
    Me too...now that I couldn't believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I find that Father Ted is on RTE quite rarely actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

maverick09 wrote: »
    Are RTE obliged to make out that GAA is more popular than it actually is

No thats the job of the FAI, the GAA aren't too happy with the IRFU. The IRFU need to start working more closely with the FAI to show how bad the "foreign" games are. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Me too...now that I couldn't believe.

That they're still making King of the Hill, or that RTE paid money for it? I can't believe either of those.

As mentioned, Fr Ted is hardly on at all these days. Maybe once a week, but I haven't seen one in ages. Now, Fair City on the other hand is on just about every day, and then they repeat the whole damn thing again at the weekend, just in case anyone is sad enough to want to watch two and a half hours of this crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

Why do they show Entourage at 11.30 on a sunday night and persist in showing sh!te nature documentaries from 7-9 every night.

jor el wrote: »
    That they're still making King of the Hill, or that RTE paid money for it? I can't believe either of those.

As mentioned, Fr Ted is hardly on at all these days. Maybe once a week, but I haven't seen one in ages. Now, Fair City on the other hand is on just about every day, and then they repeat the whole damn thing again at the weekend, just in case anyone is sad enough to want to watch two and a half hours of this crap.

Fair City only goes out 2hours per week.

They haven't had an omnibus edition of Fair City in the last 5 years at least. They show are repeat a lunch time with Eastenders and Home and Away (Which is now also omnibused over Sat and Sun).

On the other hand TV3 are contracturally obliged to show Coronation Street and Emmerdale in the Morning, Afternoon, Night (twice) and at the weekend, just in case your sad enough to want to watch 2 and half hours (3 for emmers) of this crap over and over again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

* Send No Frontiers to Nashville every year. And as if the city wasn't boring enough, John Kelly is our tour guide...
    I think John Kelly is a good broadcaster. The reason he is sent to the American deep south is because he has a love of the area and in particular it's music. It therefore makes sense to send him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

robo wrote: »

This should be sticked. It seems to be an incorrect assumpion that crops up continually month after month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

ixoy wrote: »
    Yes they should - there's surely a gap in the schedule for this show? I don't believe it could ever be shown enough times a week!
    Some people have only seen every episode three times. Imagine if they were down the pub, and someone said "We run the gas off the electricity, and the electricity off the gas" and they didn't understand! The shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Just heard Six-One News is due its annual August break (Sharon Ni Bheolain must be exhausted. Bless!). I'd say a brand new RTE show called 'Reeling In the Years' will be shown when the news is chopped back to 30 minutes. Looks at us through the way we were, via music, apparently. Never been shown before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Just heard Six-One News is due its annual August break (Sharon Ni Bheolain must be exhausted. Bless!). I'd say a brand new RTE show called 'Reeling In the Years' will be shown when the news is chopped back to 30 minutes. Looks at us through the way we were, via music, apparently. Never been shown before.

It's only a matter of time before it eats itself.

Reeling in the Years: it's May 1999, and RTE unveils their new historical documentary series, Reeling in the Years. Meanwhile, the first repeats of Fr Ted appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Aidric wrote: »
    I think John Kelly is a good broadcaster. The reason he is sent to the American deep south is because he has a love of the area and in particular it's music. It therefore makes sense to send him there.

wasn't he sent there before though, or maybe it was graceland

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bogman44

Pat Kenny is still on in the mornings. What's going on? Shouldn't he be in Portugal?

bogman44 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny is still on in the mornings. What's going on? Shouldn't he be in Portugal?

He has a studio in his mansion in Lisbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

wasn't he sent there before though, or maybe it was graceland

If you saw that recently, it was a repeat of his original trip. No Frontiers runs from January to March repeats are shown in the summer in their Three Good Reasons series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so it was a regurgitation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Actually, we are waaaay overdue a showing of Demolition Man. Must be at least a year this time....

• Advertisement
Advertisement