Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 and ALL those ad breaks

Options
  • 26-07-2009 6:38pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭

They are heading the American route methinks.

They've stretched The Mentalist to about an hour. It is absolutely painful to watch.

Next they will be playing the opening credits, cutting to ads, then back for the actual program.

Sooooooo annoying.

Anyone else think so too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Since TV3 don't get a licence fee they are allowed more ad time within the hour. It's not like the USA yet but maybe it's only a matter of time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Koloman wrote: »
    they are allowed more ad time within the hour. quote]

They are definitely taking advantage of it!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well if you don't like, you could always switch over to UTV/ITV which probably has half of their shows anyway.

Or another channel. Commercial channel so they'll run as many ads as they can as long as it doesn't start messing with their revenue/viewers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

thebman wrote: »
    Well if you don't like, you could always switch over to UTV/ITV which probably has half of their shows anyway.

Or another channel. Commercial channel so they'll run as many ads as they can as long as it doesn't start messing with their revenue/viewers.

Cool! Thanks for that suggestion.

What other channel is showing The Mentalist do you know by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

amdublin wrote: »
    Cool! Thanks for that suggestion.

What other channel is showing The Mentalist do you know by any chance?

RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

RTE and TV3 show The Mentalist? Are you sure?

My bad! I think it is only RTE that show The Mentalist.

But I stand by what I said about all those ad breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Five show The Mentalist also. It's on 9pm Thursday and is a week ahead of RTE. One thing though. ... Five love their ad breaks as much if not more than TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭iseegirls

My bad! I think it is only RTE that show The Mentalist.

But I stand by what I said about all those ad breaks.

So you're watching The Mentalist on RTE, yet you're complaining about the adverts on TV3 at the same time?

So why aren't you giving out about RTE's adverts as you have said
    It is absolutely painful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Next they will be playing the opening credits, cutting to ads, then back for the actual program.

This happens on some shows, sometimes on Sky I think. It depends on the show as some shows have a long intro and the opening credits roll 10 minutes in to the show so after the credits there is an ad.

I am still confused like others though as to why you are complaining about TV3 when you give an example of a show TV3 do not show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

if memory serves me correctly, the EU Parliment voted to allow TV channels more time to show ads...

but yes, it is highly annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Sky+ ftw

Never watch an ad again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭smythwicks

On BBC for top gear theres never any ads!!
    Its the only thing I religiously watch so its great!

I don't really notice ad breaks TBH. Partly because like the person above, I watch Top Gear and F1 and some other sports which don't have many ad breaks.

I watch some programs on E4 and the like and the ads don't really bother me. Its a good tea break time and sometimes I browse the web instead or while watching TV. Does anybody actually watch the ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

They've stretched The Mentalist to about an hour. It is absolutely painful to watch.

It is pretty dam annoying, but haven't they being doing this for years, taking shows that are usually 40min long and making them 60min long with adverts. Every station does it, except for bbc. Its been this way for years, for as long as i can remember anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Yeah TV stations should'nt be aloud to fund themselves at all. Sure they get all that programing for free anyway and the people that work in the station do it for nothing also I believe broadcasting and editing equipment is really cheap to buy and maintain so no need for these ad breaks at all.

Yeah if you have any DVD's of these series the episodes for hour long shows have almost always been 40 minutes long. I say almost always but can't think of a single one that isn't 40 minutes long instead of an hour.

Half hour long shows are 20 minutes long. I think its reasonable for ad revenue.

Only annoys me when RTE do it because they get the license fee money too. At least TV3 can run on the ads they run.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Yeah TV stations should'nt be aloud to fund themselves at all. Sure they get all that programing for free anyway and the people that work in the station do it for nothing also I believe broadcasting and editing equipment is really cheap to buy and maintain so no need for these ad breaks at all.

LOL. :D Now that would make a sarcasm detector explode ala the Simpsons. Nice work...

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

The only form of revenue that tv3 have is from ads, so it is not surprising that they have a lot of ads.

what annoys me is that I pay 26 euro a month to sky, and they still have as much or more ads (and at the same time on every channel, so that you cannot flick, while there are ads on what you are watching).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mknotaro

They are heading the American route methinks.

Sooooooo annoying.

Anyone else think so too?

I know you've stated that you recognise that TV3 do not show The Mentalist. But you arguement can't then really stand.

TV3 in an hour block of programming has three ad breaks in the run of the content.
    RTE has two.

TV3 in a half hour block of programming has one ad break in the run of the content.
    Rte has one too.

Both Irish television stations have ads before and after each show.

We have quite a bit of a way to go before Irish television is too painful to watch because of ads similar to American TV, which would mean no ads between programmes and up to five to six ad breaks within the programming content.

Be thankful for what you have, and perhaps pay better attention to the station you're actually watching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Land Of Idiots

mknotaro wrote: »
    I know you've stated that you recognise that TV3 do not show The Mentalist. But you arguement can't then really stand.

TV3 in an hour block of programming has three ad breaks in the run of the content.
    RTE has two.

TV3 in a half hour block of programming has one ad break in the run of the content.
    Rte has one too.

Both Irish television stations have ads before and after each show.

We have quite a bit of a way to go before Irish television is too painful to watch because of ads similar to American TV, which would mean no ads between programmes and up to five to six ad breaks within the programming content.

Be thankful for what you have, and perhaps pay better attention to the station you're actually watching.

+1

TBH Irish ad breaks have their benefits. At least you know when the ads come on you have a few minutes to grab a snack, run to the loo, send a text etc. I know this is not the intention but it's handy.

From what I remember of US tv, they might show 2 or 3 ads. Then 5/10 mins later, the same thing. It's very hard to follow an episode with that type of interruption. And going from one show to another without a break is annoying.

BTW TV3 have 3 hours of uninterrupted viewing from 12am to 3am every night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Saruman wrote: »
    This happens on some shows, sometimes on Sky I think. It depends on the show as some shows have a long intro and the opening credits roll 10 minutes in to the show so after the credits there is an ad.

I am still confused like others though as to why you are complaining about TV3 when you give an example of a show TV3 do not show?

E4 have started to do this.

Yeah the Mentalist is on RTÉ ONE I am surprised by all the ads since it is on quite late, must be popular.

Generally RTÉ and TG4 show less ads since the get public support and TV3 show more since they don't (bar a number of their prime time shows which have receive some of the licence fee in recent years).

I think it works out on average 9mins per hour on TV3 and 6 on both RTÉ and TG4. But they can only show up to 12mins per hour on TV3 and 9 on RTÉ and TG4.

TV3 have asked that it be increased to 12mins on average and 15 at the max.

RTE's live sports coverage would skew stats though since its 35 minutes per half in GAA without a break and they show most of the GAA coverage.

Then you have other sports they show.

RTE's live sports coverage would skew stats though since its 35 minutes per half in GAA without a break and they show most of the GAA coverage.

Then you have other sports they show.

All channels have some live sports. TV3 and RTÉ ONE have less live sports than either TG4 and RTÉ TWO. And you can't take a 12/9 min ad break between halves as this would cause issues with advertising before and after the match.

There are also advertising rules around movies, something like you may only place one ad break in the first 45 mins.

Yes my point was RTE have more sport than TV3 on which means it skews their overall average ad break times rather than if you compared only their soaps etc... which is a more useful analysis.

Overall average is redundant because of the differences in programming on both stations.

Yes my point was RTE have more sport than TV3 on which means it skews their overall average ad break times rather than if you compared only their soaps etc... which is a more useful analysis.

Overall average is redundant because of the differences in programming on both stations.

It is on a per day average, rather than a yearly average. So you would be looking at an average day on RTÉ ONE, RTÉ TWO, TV3 and TG4.

TV3 can take a maximum of 12 mins within one hour but over the course of the day they can only have an average of 9 mins. The publicly owned and funded broadcasters can only take a max of 9mins and an average of 6mins. (I could be wrong about the number of minutes, they could be higher but I am fairly certain these are the correct max and average mins).

So if TV3 have 12 hours with 12mins of ads they must reduce their next 12 hours of ad breaks down to 6mins of ads. hence the average is 9mins.

TV3, RTÉ and TG4 will all try an insure a high number of adverts during their most popular shows. You see significant reductions in daytime and late night TV adverts IMO.

Advertisement