Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing the right thing?

Options
  • 26-07-2009 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Up at my inlaws in the wilds of Cavan this weekend with the two dogs (cocker spaniels).
    Nieces and nephew (age 8-10) out running around the garden with the dogs, then come in shrieking

Kids playing on the hill
    Kids See rabbits and rabbit hole and get excited
    This attracts Dogs who see rabbits
    One Dog get hold of baby rabbit and run around the garden (other one very excited)

So I come and find dogs, get them to drop baby rabbit, it's bleeding from nose and mouth, likely back broken and in obvious distress.

I send kids inside and put rabbit out of it's misery.

I come back in, kids are distraught and I tell them I took rabbit back to it's mummy and it's gone.

So question 1
    Should I have done more to try and help the rabbit? (I don't hunt, although I'm not against it and I finished it as quickly as possible). In my opinion there was nothing that could have been done?

Question 2
    Should I have been more honest with the kids? The adults thought I should have told them that the rabbit died. Was thinking on my feet!

Anyway - not sure if valid questions - think I needed the catharsis of typing it out!

Cheers

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well... I don't think unless you're in that situation could you advise.

I wouldn't have a notion what to do if a dog came in with a badly injured baby rabbit, if it was really bad the vet probably would have put it down I'd assume? I wouldn't feel too bad, you did what you felt was best at the time.

Regarding telling the children - firstly they're not your children so it's harder to know whether to say the truth or not, depending on what type their parents are. As you said you thought on your feet and said what you did. No harm done IMO.

Don't feel too badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

you did the right thing - saved the animal from pain and probably a slow death and saved the children from the awful idea of you 'killing the poor ickle rabbit'. if the adults want to tell the kiddies the truth, then let them. if you had probably told the truth, they would have said you should have lied to save the kiddies feelings!!! There really is no winning in that situation. You did the right thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Don't feel bad, you did what you thought was best. You put the rabbit out of its misery and you wanted to save the kids from being even more distressed than they already were, I would have done the same thing.

Advertisement