Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I swop my .ie & .com sites

Options
  • 26-07-2009 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

My main website is http://www.eirnet.com
    I like it because it's easy to remember and similar to eircom.net
    It is targeted solely at an Irish audience

I'm using eirnet.ie as a one page portal website. Would I do better with http://www.eirnet.ie as my main website ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kdaly100

Why don't you just use one site for everything and 301 from the .com to the .ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

What does 301 mean ?
    Is it redirecting ?

So which should I choose as my main site .ie or .com ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Are you after free advertising? You run a computer services company which offers websites and you don't know what a 301 is??

I never heard the term 301 before - honest - (I found it wikipedia anyway) and I've done a lot of redirecting of domains with domain registries. I'm certainly not punting for business here with other board members who are much more knowledgeable on SOE & web development than me. I don't claim SOE to be one of my skills on my website - it's all new to me.

So if someone could answer an honest straightforward question by a boards member of many years standing ..... Should I make eirnet.ie or eirnet.com my principal domain, when my target audience is based in the ROI? From reading other posts in this forum it would seem that .ie has advantages - Are the advantages significant?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kdaly100

301 is a redirect and .ie is best for SEO as it is an Irish hosted site.

• Advertisement

Thanks kdaly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

In Google webmaster tools you can also specify the area that your site relates to. This would allow you to specify that your .com domain
    is targeted at Irish searchers.

Go into Site configuration
    Settings
    and pick your
    Geographic target

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Hi eirnet,

I'm not longstanding on Boards.ie but I've been making a living from the internet since 1998.

From an SEO point-of-view, I have to disagree with whats been said so far. I think that the longest-indexed domain / the domain with the best SERP's is the best choice to keep. The .ie can (as argued by the IEDR) is better for targeting Irish paying audiences - but I don't think it's as pronounced as they'd believe.

They are both already indexed in Ireland - no need to change the webmaster tools for the .com.

I would continue to keep both - why just have one website?

If you started tracking what you rank for - e.g. a simple exercise is to take the keywords that people have used in Google to find you (from your visitor stats or Analytics information ) - see which site is ranked for the different phrases, you might better off not changing the domains. What if you lost those serps associated with the other domain (remember that SERPS aren't really tansferrable from one domain to another) - then you could be losing traffic.

So you need to get your information together to support any decisions - and from my point of view, if it ain't broke, don't break it!

David @ PrimaryPosition.com

Advertisement