Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Futher evidence of global warming

Options
  • 26-07-2009 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Recently released US military satellite images graphically show the dramatic reduction of sea ice in Alaska: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1202257/Revealed-The-secret-evidence-global-warming-Alaska-Bush-did-want-see.html

Interesting that the Bush administration sat on these pictures for a few years, pretty obvious decision to make when this type of evidence directly contradicted official US policy at the time (denial of global warming).

Its the poor polar bears I feel sorry for, imagine having to swim across hundreds of km of open water for your next meal where previously a huge expanse of ice existed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Recently released US military satellite images graphically show the dramatic reduction of sea ice in Alaska: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1202257/Revealed-The-secret-evidence-global-warming-Alaska-Bush-did-want-see.html

Interesting that the Bush administration sat on these pictures for a few years, pretty obvious decision to make when this type of evidence directly contradicted official US policy at the time (denial of global warming).

Its the poor polar bears I feel sorry for, imagine having to swim across hundreds of km of open water for your next meal where previously a huge expanse of ice existed.

Don't worry about the polar bears..... if it is in the Daily Mail hype-tabloid, chances are the bears are jumping around gleefully on an ever expanding mountain of ice! :-)

[my opinion of the rag, rather than the impact of CO2 or solar activity on the planet]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

Great source that :p

TBH from any natural geo program's I've seen about polar bears they'd rather swin than thrudge across the ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Wont someone PLEASE think of the polar bears!! :p :rolleyes:

There may well be a reduction in the ice caps, but what is the evidence that this is man made. It may in fact be a natural warming period in the earth life, as far as i know we are overdue one. Its happened before it will happen again, we need to try and adjust to this change rather than prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Comparing two single points in time is pretty meaningless – it’s the long-term trend that matters.

Besides, if I recall correctly, 2007 was a record low for Arctic sea ice extent.

murfie wrote: »
    There may well be a reduction in the ice caps, but what is the evidence that this is man made. It may in fact be a natural warming period in the earth life...
    Caused by?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

djpbarry wrote: »
    Caused by?

That's just it nobody can say with any great degree of certainty. The natural heating and cooling of the earth, increased activity in solar radiation it may well be man made. I am no environmental scientist so what do I know, but I wont just take certain reports at face value when there may be other motives behind them.

We should conserve our energy and make our consumption more efficient for economic reasons but in my opinion there is no stopping the change to the climate.

murfie wrote: »
    That's just it nobody can say with any great degree of certainty. The natural heating and cooling of the earth, increased activity in solar radiation it may well be man made.
    I don’t really know what you mean by “natural heating and cooling of the earth”? As for an increase in solar activity, well, some have claimed that there is a correlation between solar activity and warming during the past 40 years, but these claims don’t stand up to scrutiny – there’s a short paper on the subject available here. Furthermore, direct measurements of solar output over the last 30 years show no upward trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

djpbarry wrote: »
    I don’t really know what you mean by “natural heating and cooling of the earth”? As for an increase in solar activity, well, some have claimed that there is a correlation between solar activity and warming during the past 40 years, but these claims don’t stand up to scrutiny – there’s a short paper on the subject available here. Furthermore, direct measurements of solar output over the last 30 years show no upward trend.

here's an article from NASA, is discuss the variances in solar output and its result on mainly the pacific climate and its far reaching effects on the rest of the world..
    There is only a 0.1% variance in solar uptputs, but thats enough to casue climate change here on earth..
    http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/view.php?id=39561

robtri wrote: »
    There is only a 0.1% variance in solar uptputs, but thats enough to casue climate change here on earth..
    http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/view.php?id=39561
    But we're not talking about the variation in solar activity over the course of 11 years, we're talking about the variation over the last several decades.

Advertisement