Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

fix the passat or get an almera?

Options
  • 26-07-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

i have a 00 passat that needs some work at suspension and breaks (about800 euro)
    a dealer is offering me an almera just tested to trade in my passat plus 1500

with 1500 i can do alot of work on my passat

what do you think?

what's better?
    passat or almera ? (both saloon)

cheers
    K

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Passat is a much better car.

p.s. It's brakes, not breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Passat any day, the almera will only cause you grief down the road. That's a poor offer from the dealer don't be suckered into it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,288 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You wont be happy with an almera after driving the passat. Passat does get some abuse for not being the best drivers car but put it beside an almera and its miles ahead. Almera would be positioned at the lower end of the class below the the passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

is the passat diesal? if not get the almera.. if it is keep it and fix it, great cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kosmo

the passat is 1.6 petrol and has 102k miles
    and the almera is 01 new model and has 67k miles

my question really is are almera good cars?
    i know my passat is ok but a friend's passat only gave him trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That model Almera has known issues with the timing chain. Keep the Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Both cars are worth less than 1500 IMHO, and given the choice, I'd be spending the money on the Passat. 1000 should go a very long way to fixing the car, as good o/e spec parts from a motor factors would do. The Passat is worth 500 to 600 at the moment I'd say

The one advantage for the Almera is that it should have a full 2 years NCT. THe problem with the Almera is that with that low mileage, it mightn't have been serviced every year (just at the specificed mileage) and it's them almeras that have the timing chain issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

The mighty nissan almera.....the car for people who don't like cars :D

The passat is a better car but if it's a 00 then it's getting a wee bit old. Why don't you find out your other options mate. I very much doubt you're restricted to the almera. Call a few dealers and see if they can offer you something better than an almera for the same money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

bazz26 wrote: »
    That model Almera has known issues with the timing chain. Keep the Passat.

I'll second that. if the almera starts acting up and the timing chain stretches
    then it will cost ALOT to fix about 600 euros for a "quick fix" i.e new chain/maybe tensioner. The PROPER job would not be worth doing to a car that age ie. new tensioner/chain/sprockets/guides/gaskets/oil/filter/etc....
    I'd keep the passat. cheers.

Advertisement