Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Van or converted car thoughts

Options
  • 26-07-2009 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of buying a cheap van for use in work.
    Long story as to why, but the short version is that my job requires me to support multiple sites for which I get a mileage allowance (no company car, fuel card, or free servicing for me :(). I also have to transport equipment around between sites as well which means often the car is fully-loaded with stuff.

The problem is though that the mileage rate I get barely covers the diesel costs, and meanwhile I'm racking up more miles on my 06 Passat (bought last year with 56000km on it - now has 107000!), not to mention the incresed wear and tear, servicing costs, tyres etc. Plus I don't like using it as a van either!

So as I said, I've been thinking of getting a cheap small van for the purpose, or maybe a car and stripping out the rear seats. The only catch is I'd prefer an auto, and diesel of course. The VW Caddys are nice but outside of the range I want to pay for this.

To give ye an idea, I was looking at something like this:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200928194574527

Cheap, would owe me nothing at that price, and big enough for the job - but are they any good, if I did covert it to commercial use would I get the cheaper tax on it etc?

Any thoughts? As I say it's just an idea at this stage but one that won't go away :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You are just buying someone elses trouble there IMO.

Also when you are getting insurance you will have to tell them that you carry products in connection with your occupation which may end up putting a loading on your policy.

The older caddy of 00 generation and even the Seat Inca are cheap and pretty easy on diesel though they wont bowl you over with comfort and it would be easier to find a hobby horses shyte than find an auto one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Slidey wrote: »
    You are just buying someone elses trouble there IMO.

Also when you are getting insurance you will have to tell them that you carry products in connection with your occupation which may end up putting a loading on your policy.

The older caddy of 00 generation and even the Seat Inca are cheap and pretty easy on diesel though they wont bowl you over with comfort and it would be easier to find a hobby horses shyte than find an auto one.

Yea getting an auto is a problem, although they are out there if I want to pay for it :(

I already pay an increased premium for using the Passat to carry goods so I know it'd cost me there.

As I say, it may not be practical, but I'm just starting to resent using my own car for work and not getting a decent rate for doing so (maybe that part should be in Job Issues :)) so hence why I'm toying with this.

Auto vans are just very rare. I do know of a guy who got a 04 transit, ex rentals yoke, but its one of those manual gearboxes that is electronically controlled and it is a pure tool of a thing.

The add you linked to could be converted to a commercial but getting parts for it will probably be a pain.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/880186

That ad has been up a while, person might be willing to drop back a bit. dont know what kinda mpg they will do though. cant be that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cheers :)
    I saw this earlier too: http://www.trinitycars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200930194707542

Don't know anything about them though but from looking at pics of them on other ads, they look about the right size - a full Transit-sized van would a bit overkill for my needs.

Combo is a simple enough yoke that shouldnt give you too much bother.

There is a problem with some sensor on the fuel system that leaves them slow to start or inclined not to drop the revs when you are changing gears. I cant remember exactly what it is but I know it expensive to change.

• Advertisement
Advertisement