Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant cat toileting in the house

Options
  • 26-07-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

My sisters cat who is due to have kittens is toileting in the house, in the one spot. She was usually good to use the litter tray and go outside.
    Does anyone know why she would be doing same? Is it due to her about to have kittens?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Are there any other cats in the house?
    Is where she's peeing in a more secluded place than the litter tray?
    Is she going more often than usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

There is one kitten in the house which is from her previous litter... and she has obviously finished rearing him.

She is peeing in the downstairs bathroom which is quite large as is a disability accessible one.

She is not going more than usual.

The litter tray is also ALWAYS available to her and is cleaned regularly.

Sometimes pregnant cats like their own litter tray, so maybe try even putting a new one in the downstairs bathroom for her? (at least it'd mean less mess for your sister)
    As her previous kitten is male she may wish to be separate from him when going so she's safer?
    And sometimes they can get urinary infections so she might have a slight one perhaps

Another litter tray.... now why didn't i think of that.
    Hopefully we'll get a solution.

Thanks for your response. Well appreciated :)

There are others here who know a lot more about cats so hopefully some of them will have some insight too.
    Aye do try another litter tray, she may feel safer with it :)
    Also like humans they can get very 'need everything clean and the way they want it'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

trilo wrote: »
    Another litter tray.... now why didn't i think of that.
    Hopefully we'll get a solution.

Thanks for your response. Well appreciated :)
    Put the new litter tray in the downstairs bathroom in the spot that she's been using.
    That might work.
    She may be a little more sensitive to smells right now... and also more aware of where she leaves traces of HER scent, too, as she gets closer to giving birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

pregnant cats are like pregnant humans.... slightly deranged ;)

don't worry too much about why she's doing it as lord knows what daft notion he's gotton into her head. just put down a litter tray in that spot and see will she use it.

Thanks. Yes she is very much deranged at the moment. One look at her and she hisses at you. Poor thing must be sore too i reckon.

Anyway solution... they spent last night in the kitchen much to her annoyance but she used the litter tray throughout the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah depending how pregnant she is, she may be approaching the time where she wants a safe den, a nesting space to have her kittens. She'll see threats in places where she noticed nothing at all before. You might try providing her with her own space, along with her own litter tray. A large, sturdy cardboard box, turned on its side and lined with an old towel, is a great den. The perfect den is in a quiet location, with a good view of normal territory. Down beside the couch, for instance. There's no point trying to set up a den in the bathroom unless you're going to lock the cat in there, because she'll ignore it and go give birth on your bed, for instance, or in the bottom of the warderobe, or on the couch...

Or under the bed... i have had cats in the past that have done this. Lucky i don't mind. Well i reckon there's loads of spaces that she can choose from, she find the safest one.
    Thanks for the replies :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement