Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying first scope

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Dont get the first one!!

And as for the second, that price is fifty above even astronomy Ireland!

Read this link, its comprehensive and quick: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/equipment/basics

Those 76 and 127 are the key numbers - your aperture. Dont mind the magnification numbers, they wont mean much if your viewing conditions aren't up to much. Have a read through the guide - there are much better deals out there for your money.

You can get a 5 inch skywatcher for the same price as the celestron - I would be wary of a scope advertised without its aperture and focal length in the text.

As efla said, there are much better deals out there for what you're spending.

What's your budget? If you told us that we could possibly find the best telescope for that price for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MoogPoo

Thanks for the help, I was suspicious about the cheaper one alright. Well I'd be willing to spend up to 600 if it was worth it y'know included post and all that, but if there isnt that much difference between them i'd just get a cheap one.

MoogPoo wrote: »
    Thanks for the help, I was suspicious about the cheaper one alright. Well I'd be willing to spend up to 600 if it was worth it y'know included post and all that, but if there isnt that much difference between them i'd just get a cheap one.

K, one more question...

Is portability an issue? Would you want to be able to bring it around with you, or would just bringing it in and out of your backyard be ok?

Def most important. That money could get you a dob that would barely fit in a car or a portable cassegrain

• Advertisement

Em, yeah only backyard really. Even if it was really awkward i could leave it out back in a shed like. Its normally clear enough around anyway.

I was thinking of getting a Meade Lighbridge 8" or 10" telescope. I'm not sure which one yet. Does anyone have one of these? Is it ok for a beginner scope or would it be too difficult? I heard you have to callibrate the mirrors and stuff. I want to get a fairly good one though so I won't need to get a new one in a few years.

I was thinking of getting a Meade Lighbridge 8" or 10" telescope. I'm not sure which one yet. Does anyone have one of these? Is it ok for a beginner scope or would it be too difficult? I heard you have to callibrate the mirrors and stuff. I want to get a fairly good one though so I won't need to get a new one in a few years.

Yah, it's a good telescope (although you'd get similar Dobsonian scopes for less).

I'll be honest and say that Dobsonians (such as the Meade Lightbridge) aren't the easiest telescopes to use. They've awkward mounts, they're clumbsy and as you've said, they may require mirror calibration from time to time.

How new to astronomy are you? If this is your first telescope, I'd be hesitant in recommending a Dobsonian such as that Meade. Although Dobsonians are, quite simply, the absolute best value for money when it comes to seeing-power/aperture, they're pretty awkward to use. Buying one may infact turn you off astronomy.

I'd probably recommend a smaller reflector with an equatorial mount for a beginner sooner than I would a large Dobsonian.

Yah, it's a good telescope (although you'd get similar Dobsonian scopes for less).

I'll be honest and say that Dobsonians (such as the Meade Lightbridge) aren't the easiest telescopes to use. They've awkward mounts, they're clumbsy and as you've said, they may require mirror calibration from time to time.

How new to astronomy are you? If this is your first telescope, I'd be hesitant in recommending a Dobsonian such as that Meade. Although Dobsonians are, quite simply, the absolute best value for money when it comes to seeing-power/aperture, they're pretty awkward to use. Buying one may infact turn you off astronomy.

I'd probably recommend a smaller reflector with an equatorial mount for a beginner sooner than I would a large Dobsonian.

The Celestron Omni 150 has been mentioned here a few times - think it goes for about 400?

Well I've never had a telescope before but I'e used my friends for a while. Its the national geographic one i mentioned on the top. I know the basics of astronomy anyway but I'd be willing to put in the effort to learn it, I'll be doing some in college anyway so I won't get put off I'd say. Which dobsonians did you say would be as good for cheaper? Would the ones with equatorial mount be less powerful. I'm thinking of going for dobsonian as i want as much aperture for money as i can as you said, and it doesnt need to be portable. Thanks

• Advertisement

It doesnt come with an equatorial mount, so your only options are alt-az. Skywatcher also do a truss dob (collapses down similar to the meade) at about 600 for a 10". I think you can get an 8 inch with a tracking drive for the same money

k thanks for the info. Last question, I know its been answered a lot but i tried most of the ones like astronomy ireland and north down telescopes. But where else can I get them, is amazon and ebay ok? other places seem to have very expensive delivery. how much should ii expect to pay on delivery?

I've never bought anything this big on ebay, but from experience with camera lenses, I tend to avoid (despite the potential savings). If you end up spending big on a scope, you dont have a 100% guarantee of secure transport, which has happened to me before. The mounts can get very heavy, and if you end up going with a reflector/dob, its going to be big and heavy. Also, there is a lot to be said for having reliable aftersales within reach. If you do go with ebay, do your homework on the seller carefully.

efla wrote:
    The Celestron Omni 150 has been mentioned here a few times - think it goes for about 400?

Yah it's around that price. And, in my opinion, it's a far better buy than a larger Dobsonian for a beginner.
    Well I've never had a telescope before but I'e used my friends for a while. Its the national geographic one i mentioned on the top. I know the basics of astronomy anyway but I'd be willing to put in the effort to learn it, I'll be doing some in college anyway so I won't get put off I'd say.

A lot of people think that, but the awkwardness of a Dobsonain's alt/az mount can put a lot of people off. I know a person who bought a €600 Dobsonian and they've used it less than a dozen times in several years. I myself have a nice small Maksutov-Cassegrain, it has less seeing-power but what's important is that I use it a lot more. The number one rule is to buy the one that you'll use the most. It doesn't matter what power it has if you'll never use it.

If you're willing to get used to an alt/az mount with the Dobsonian, then go for it. You may also have to collimate and calibrate the mirrors every now and then, so keep that in mind.
    Which dobsonians did you say would be as good for cheaper?

They mightn't be a lot cheaper, but there are ones that cost a bit less. I'll have a look around for you, but you're probably as well to go for either a Meade or a Celestron (I'd go for a Celestron personally, although I'm not sure if they do any Dobsonians).
    Would the ones with equatorial mount be less powerful.

Yes. But an equatorial mount is a lot nicer to use than a simple alt/az mount, and that, in my opinion, makes up for the difference in power.
    I'm thinking of going for dobsonian as i want as much aperture for money as i can as you said, and it doesnt need to be portable. Thanks

Dobsonians are, basically, the best value for money when it comes to seeing-power. You simply can't beat them. Go for one if you're willing to use the alt/az mount. Also, keep in mind, astrophotography is next to impossible with an alt/az mount.
    efla wrote: »
    I've never bought anything this big on ebay, but from experience with camera lenses, I tend to avoid (despite the potential savings). If you end up spending big on a scope, you dont have a 100% guarantee of secure transport, which has happened to me before. The mounts can get very heavy, and if you end up going with a reflector/dob, its going to be big and heavy. Also, there is a lot to be said for having reliable aftersales within reach. If you do go with ebay, do your homework on the seller carefully.

I'd agree, be very cautious. I personally wouldn't buy one over Ebay, anyway. Go for an Irish shop, that way you'll get it without any damage and you'll know more about your warrenty etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kpatrick

Thinking of upgrading my beginner scope (3" reflector) to this one:

http://www.uk-telescopes.co.uk/konus_motor_130%20telescope.htm

Surely this is a great deal for €200? Any comments? I was looking at Konus telescopes in a shop in America and decided to look for them onlne. Are they a good brand or does anyone own one?

Advertisement