Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying 03 VW Polo 1.2 - Timing Chain advice.

Options
  • 26-07-2009 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

Hello,

1st time to post in here Guys..

I dont know a lot about the technical end of things & was hoping that you could lend me a bit of your knowledge.

Looking to buy a Polo - 1.2 55bhp - 45k miles on the clock - €4,700.

There is full VW used car warranty with it.

My Question is..

I Googled "Are VW Polo's reliable?" - And the 3rd or 4th result was:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_reliable_is_a_VW_Polo

"Depends a lot on the model and age. Some of the three cylinder engines in the 02-onwards cars have had issues, these were brand new in 2002 and the designs have been modified since to fix some of the problems that have appeared. One big problem with the 1.2 engines is slippage of the timing chain (the engines use a chain instead of a cam belt). In theory the chain is supposed to save on maintenance and never need replacing like an ordinary rubber cam belt, but in practice a problem with the tensioners meant that many of them slipped at around 40-50,000 miles, meaning the engines had to be stripped and rebuilt with new chains and modified tensioners. Be wary of any older (pre 2005) 1.2's that haven't had this work done"

That is fairly clear of course.. but I'm just wondering if this is a widespread issue?

I understand (if I've got it right.. ) that if the chain can go / then the tensioners can break off, and then the whole engine goes Kaputt. I've also read about changing them before the recommended distance - which definitely sounds like a good idea.

You have to be thinking about the €€€'s. Now more than ever.

A good few of my friends have VW's - both "Brand New" and "Bangers" & they have never been let down.

Thats really why I'm attracted to VW.. and I'm pleased that this is in my budget. Because of my situation, I'd feel more confident about buying it with to the free warranty - which seems excellent.

It seems like a good buy.. and I hope to get the price down further, but I'd like to know if anyone has any experience of the issue before I make my mind up. Nothing is set in stone yet.. so I dont have to buy this particular Car.

I will ask the dealer about the scenario & whether the chain has been checked/replaced.. but I would appreciate if I could get some independant 3rd party feedback on what the pitfalls / their experience might be.

I'm just conscious that the milage is around the 40 - 50k dangerzone.

The VW Cover states:

"Every qualifying vehicle sold is covered by a free 12 months Volkswagen Genuine Used Cars warranty one of the most comprehensive warranties available. In the unlikely event that something goes wrong with your vehicle (within the first year or 20,000 kilometres whichever comes first), we will ensure your vehicle is repaired and back on the road as soon as possible.. "

The Cars are meant to be fully serviced etc.. and if there was a meltdown later on - within 20k KM (not Miles.. :rolleyes:), then at least there would be cover..

But I'd still like to find out a little more before I take the plunge.

I'm wondering if the price reflects the possibility of the timing chain etc.. failing?

Cheers,

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 raffo_2005

my gf has driven a 2003 polo now for the past 4 years and she has never had a problem with her car . plus you would have the warrenty if it did my advice is have it checked before hand thats really all you can do:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

raffo_2005 wrote: »
    my gf has driven a 2003 polo now for the past 4 years and she has never had a problem with her car . plus you would have the warrenty if it did my advice is have it checked before hand thats really all you can do:D

Nice one Raffo.

Well thats reassuring Man.. Thanks for that.

Do you know what the milage is by any chance.. just for a guide / comparison?

Advertisement