Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most effective marketing campaign?

Options
  • 26-07-2009 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I do understand that methods of marketing will be different for different target markets but what is the best for the gardening sector & those who want to grow there own?
    Also how much is billboard advertising?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

You mean like a landscape business ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 trader100

You mean like a landscape business ?

No to those with an interest in gardening themselves. Its to sell a product.

Easy, target gardening magazines, the cutting edge gardeners of the country would be buying it and they are most likely to try new products and tell their friends about it.

Check out www.garden.ie and www.gardenheaven.ie and find out about placing an ad or product review etc of the product i.e. contact them, send them a sample, ask them if they'd be interested in reviewing it etc, if it's a new product or a different product to what already exists, I can see them being interested.

I'd also target trade shows that are based around gardening in the RDS etc. There are also annual events which are based around gardening in Ireland. I don't know anything about gardening but I've heard about them so find out more about those.

I'd also look to set up a website with your product on it and drive traffic to it using adwords etc. Over 33,000 people in Ireland in june went looking for "gardening" phrases so could be worth your time. Again, I don't know your product so can only give information on the parts I do know.

Apart from the above, that's pretty much all I can think of at the moment.

I personally think billboard advertising would be a total waste of your time. Use the money to make a difference. Billboards are only good for certain "mass" produced goods that appeal to wide populations such as beer, alcohol, sports events etc. Not gardening.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mosey101

Yeah definately stay away from Billboard advertising. Depending on the location i can cost anywhere from €200 - €2000 per location plus an extra €100 for production.

Online is always the best way to go with a website properly optimised and possilby forging links with magazines, websites and other publications to get your product placed in it and gain some exposure by way of PR.

Depending on who you're targetting, radio can be pretty effective and quite cheap by way of media and production costs (most radio stations can do the production in house) It can work even better when used with a call to action such as "Use our Promo code of GARDEN1 when you log on to our website www.gardenproduct.com and get 10% of your order!"

It might sound a bit cheesy but can work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Okay, it sounds like you are looking for information on advertising rather than marketing, if it's info on marketing you are looking for the ask yourself the following:

What are the 'key messages' for your product?

Have you done a SWOT analysis on your product?

How will you differentiate your product from similar products out there? (price, quality, quantity? etc)

Who are your target audience? (retail outlets? professional landscape gardeners, amateur gardeners, those who have never grown veg before, allotment owners?

Start by answering these questions, then decide what form of advertising will work best with each audience. Ensure that your advertising incorporates your key message for each target audience!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Would your product attract window box/balcony/flat roof top gardeners ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

trader100 wrote: »
    I do understand that methods of marketing will be different for different target markets but what is the best for the gardening sector & those who want to grow there own?
    Also how much is billboard advertising?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

What is the sales channel? Do you intend to sell direct to customer (end user) or via an Intermediary eg Retailer/Garden centre etc? How long do you envisage the sales cycle to be , is the product seasonal? There are other criteria to be considered before deciding what to do and how much it might cost etc.

The channel will largely influence how you (initially) generate product awareness, later you can take a closer look at what options might be feasible (cost, sales cycle etc) to advertise/promote.

Consumer advertising is quite different to trade advertising. Some advertsing/promotion might yield quick results but cost a lot to implement, whilst others might be relatively inexpensive but a 'slow burn' in terms of generating immediate sales.

Product type and selling price are also important. Impulse buys are somewhat different to discretionary purchases. I could go on, but...

If you post more details on product and proposed sales channel, you might get more direct feedback.

Advertisement