Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car start 1st time in months- precautions?

Options
  • 25-07-2009 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

I'm inheriting an old car ( 98 micra )
    It hasn't been started or driven in about 3 months.

I'm sure it'll need a jumpstart but what other precautions ahould I take before starting her up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Just make sure all fluids are up and all service checks are ok. I can't see what else would be a problem.

I dont' think it will blow up or anything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Maybe I'm being overcautious, but...

Check the oil colour and consistency, check for leaks under the car (on the ground), check coolant and hoses. Start it up. Don't rev it for a few minutes, leave it to warm up. First thing to do when it moves is to check the brakes. Was the handbrake left on? I hope not. If it doesn't want to move the brake discs could be seized. Might be an idea to check for leaks when it's warmed up too, especially considering the cold weather we had. Also consider changing the brake fluid, it's hygroscopic as well. Also, once the engine is warm shut it down and change the oil. Condensation does nasty things to oil and engines. It should start fine though, Micras are tough beasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Confab wrote: »
    Micras are tough beasts
    to overtake when your stuck behind one
    :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭scoby

Blow up!?!?

Oh, right
    Won't blow up. Cool thanks :)

I was worried that oil might thicken or something like that, but I'll give it a quick check and fire her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A bit of a pray can't hurt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sirgandi

[QUOTEJust don't rev it for a few minutes, leave it to warm up.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more with this statement. Damaged a car by over reving it after being lying idle for a few months myself this way, let it warm for 20mins or half hour or so. Check all fluids and bare in mind the brake discs/drums will have rusting residues on them so be careful. They may be a little noisy at first but that will pass. Check handbrake and open the oil cap and check for any mayonaisy type goo. (Sign of cracked engine head). If exhaust smoke is very blue, get her an oil change - but I would recommend a basic service anyway - new oil, new brake pads, fluids, tightened handbrake etc. Wheels should still be in balance but if she drifts to one side or another or steering wobbles at speed, get the balancing and allignment done. Oh and check that all the nuts on the wheels are tight.

Happy motoring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Disclaimer: I know nothing. NOTHING!

Confab wrote: »
    Was the handbrake left on? I hope not.

Why?

Why?

The rear brakes can bind. Not likely after three months I'll admit, but possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sirgandi

If the handbrake has been on for 3 years, its cable has been stretched for that length of time and will have weakened and/or stretched and loosened.

sirgandi wrote: »
    If the handbrake has been on for 3 years, its cable has been stretched for that length of time and will have weakened and/or stretched and loosened.

It's three months :D

Edit: If you feel like reading a truly nasty thread about laid up cars, read this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lauramcp

in the exact same boat.... inherited a micra!! mine prob hadnt being driven in longer, but seams in fine shape... need to get it serviced, think i dingyed the exhaust going over the million ramps where i live and it no sounds like i've had a muffler fitted!! but everything else is grand, had it over a month now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

sirgandi wrote: »
    let it warm for 20mins or half hour or so.

Don't warm up a car by living it in idle. Gearbox is not getting warm and parts lubricated. So even if you sit in the car for 1 hour in idle and drive quick after that, you gearbox and other parts of your engine will not appreciate it.

Just get going slowly for the fist 20 minutes or so, so everything gets the chance to be in motion and lubricated at the proper temperature.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can't leave a car "in idle". You can however leave it in neutral.

p.s. Do all the checks as above, start it, and go for a gentle drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 raffo_2005

a bit of advice tho make sure the battery charges before you go on a drive i made that mistake i had to push mine home:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd check the tyres for the correct pressure and also check that they havn't cracked as a result of the car not being moved in months. Should be fine with 3 months being layed up, just take it easy for the first couple of days to see that everythings working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I've brought a few cars back from a slumber before and this is what I'd be doing to the Micra

1. Oil, oil filter, plugs, air filter & fuel filter change.
    2. Check brake fluid, gearbox oil level, coolant level and all engine bay hoses for bulges/cracks/weakspots
    3. Drop the handbrake (after putting a few blocks to the wheels) and press the brake pedal a few times. Check brake fluid level again.
    4. Remove road wheels (a stout hammer may be needed) and sand the brake disc and drums. Look for any brake fluid after leaking from 3. The last thing you want is no brakes. Check the brake pad material hasn't separated from the backing.
    5. When the wheel's off, check for leaking dampers and cracked rubbers on bushings, ball joints, driveshaft & steering rack rubbers etc. Also check the brake pipes for bulges/cracks
    6. Wash any corrosion from the battery terminals and put in a charged battery.
    7. Remove the plugs and turn the engine by hand
    8. Turn the engine over with no plugs with the key until the oil light goes out. Afterwards, stick your nose down the plughole. If you can't smell petrol, you've got a problem with fuel delivery (leak, fuel pump, blockage etc)
    9. Check for spark by putting one plug into the plug lead and earth it off the engine. Get somebody to turn the engine with the key and check for the plug sparking. If you're not sure, don't do it as there is 50,000 volts running through the plug and it can give a bloody nasty shock.
    10. Put the plugs in and try to start the car. Don't leave the starter motor turn for more 10 seconds at a time without starting.
    11. Assuming the engine starts, leave it run and press the clutch. Try to engage each gear. If the clutch is stuck, try the starting it in gear trick.
    12. Test the lights (indicators & brake light especially) and take it for a short run. Be gentle but leave everything get up to working temp. There may be weird smells that disappear after a while. If the temp gauge rises above half way, stop immediately. There may be a problem with the cooling system and you don't want to blow the head gasket.
    13. After the run, check all fluid levels and put a dollip of silicon spray on door hinges etc.

You may need to change the brake fluid and coolant in the near future.

I've brought cars back from 3 year slumbers before with the above method, although in one case, I needed to rebuild the whole brake system (I managed to reuse the brake pedal!), new rad, new hoses, new petrol, rebuild the carb and a load more small jobs like stuck windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

scoby wrote: »
    I'm inheriting an old car ( 98 micra )
    It hasn't been started or driven in about 3 months.

I'm sure it'll need a jumpstart but what other precautions ahould I take before starting her up?

Take it out of gear !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Last year I came back from the states after 3 months.
    I'd a 1.6 Mazda 323F lying idle that time.

The battery was dead, but the AA jump started it and told me to leave the engine running for 30 mins+ to charge the battery.
    But if the battery was damaged from inactivity it may not hold the charge well and conk out later. If you have a battery charger might be worth charging the battery overnight and trying it in the car the next day.

As someone mentioned, my brakes had rust/residue on them and were very noticeably weaker than normal. So go very easy for a few days, leaving lots of stopping distance.

The engine was noisy as feck too, thought someone swapped it for a diesel ! But after a day or two that disappeared.

Advertisement