Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Website Feedback

Options
  • 25-07-2009 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    looking for feedback on the actual look/design of a new site I just launched. Needs content, advertisers etc.. but really want to get some feedback on the look of it and whether people feel I may have missed anything. The site is located at weddings in sligo and the goal in time is to make it a useful resource for anyone looking for information for their big day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's a little disjointed, especially the flyout nav, with a secondary nav beneath it - and not sure about the need for javascript on it.

What's happening on load with that header?

Also you can't just launch a website that's only half working.

If you're comfortable enough with HTML, you could get a template from here - http://www.templatemonster.com/category/wedding/

But if you're not great with HTML, and want a good standing in design, accessibility & SEO, you can implement a WordPress CMS blog with a template like this, this

If you've access to high quality wedding images, I'd use this theme and customise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

zAbbo wrote: »
    It's a little disjointed, especially the flyout nav, with a secondary nav beneath it - and not sure about the need for javascript on it.

What's happening on load with that header?

Also you can't just launch a website that's only half working.

If you're comfortable enough with HTML, you could get a template from here - http://www.templatemonster.com/category/wedding/

But if you're not great with HTML, and want a good standing in design, accessibility & SEO, you can implement a WordPress CMS blog with a template like this, this

If you've access to high quality wedding images, I'd use this theme and customise it.

Barry/ zAbbo,
    thanks for the feedback and your not wrong in many ways. However rather than buy a template which anyone can -I thought mine was quite nice, simple and well adopted to a low key approach to a small market. However your advise and comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Not happy with html at all..but still think this site will rank well=50% of the battle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 statix

I think it looks quite nice, not too sure about the loading bar tho. Also the footer text is outside the footer. But yeah nice looking site. :)

Thanks guys,
    bit of a tentative approach as of yet... "Much done-more to do" as Fianna Fail used to declare!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

you might want to do a spell check - at first glance ...Photographers is spelled wrong.

also the drop down menus look a little off - (ie. for wedding fairs the options are : "Fair Wedding Fairs" or "Place of Awe" ...neither of the links work.)

actually ..none of the links work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kdaly100

You should mention if links don't work when you post and we can just review the first page. Turn off the links for the moment.

I would also do some work on the style of the links at the bottom and perhaps center them

Also on first glance there seems to be tons of links at top a bit confusing you are trying to put too much into menu bar

The drop downs have a font that does not complement the graphical buttons.

Also when I click on Wedding Hotels in Sligo the animation bounces looks a bit off.

And I would reword my intor you are plugging the keyword constantly and reading it. 2-3 times is plenty. I counted 6.

Last but not least where is the call to action other than the contact form. No phone number. Brides want instant answers :)

Best of luck with it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I like it. Nice pics, and nice header. Looks quality. One thing I don't like is that the loading bar pushes down the entire website. First, the loading times aren't long enough to need a loading bar but if you want to use it, you should reposition it so it doesn't move the whole site around.

There is also a little blue line next to the home button (top left). Looks kind of weird since it is obviously not meant to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 IdentityCrisiz

I think it looks elegant, nice use of colours and very clear text. Just a small point, the SEO link navigates away from your page, would be much better for your website if it opened in a new window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭515

No 'cake' section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 StuartC

Loading bar wont leave for me. Looks good enough until you hit the main text which looks a little rough. Wont take too much to have it looking great

• Advertisement

515 wrote: »
    No 'cake' section?

Good thinking-origionally felt that this niche could be too small but perhaps well worth considering.

StuartC -thanks. Its in the early stages so plan in time will to make it a really useful site. Getting there slowly. Again thanks for the feedback-site is a bit raw yet I know but I hope in time will pad out more and with suggested tweaks will look decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FireballM

I like the colours & the design in the header, but the quality of your images in your menu are poor, the characters don't read well. I would also in include a text menu in you footer to help SEO.

I would disable the links until the site is complete & mention in your introduction that the site is still "under construction" or "in progress" and to visit the site again in the future.

Another idea maybe to set up a newsletter subscription, have it on the homepage & that way you can email subscribers when the website is ready instead of them having to guess! Ezines are always a good way to keep intouch with customers & it can collect email addresses & build interest now while you are still working on the site. hope this helps!

Advertisement