Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WCW Question

Options
  • 25-07-2009 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

I've always heard in title histories that Vader and Sting won the world title back and forth over the period of a few days, Sting winning in London, and Vader won it back in Dublin. Does anyone have any info about that show and/or tour, as it's the only time I've ever heard of WCW coming here.

Info appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

March 17, 1993 there was a show in Dublin. From here. It's a start. :)
    Sting's first title defense was against Big Van Vader in April of 1992. Sting won, but in the course of the match Vader cracked Stings ribs; this sparked off a rivalry. On July 12th, 1992 at The Great American Bash, Sting faced against Vader again but a different result occurred. Sting miscalculated a Stinger Splash and received a power bomb from Big Van Vader, losing the title.

On August 8th, 1992, Jake Roberts injured Sting and a raffle was held to determine a new #1 Contender. Ron Simmons won the raffle and later on that night he defeated Big Van Vader for the WCW World Title.

Ron Simmons would go on to hold the title for four months. During his reign though, many fans considered him a stiff wrestler that wasn't a good champion (this is not at all my opinion). He defended the title time and time again against Vader but he finally lost the belt to him on December 30th, 1992.

Big Van Vader and Sting continued their rivalry during Vader's second title reign. Vader defended his title against Sting in a Strap match at SuperBrawl III on February 21st, 1993. However, Vader dropped the title to Sting on March 11th, 1993.

Stings second title reign lasted less than a week as he continued his feud with Vader. On March 17th, 1993 in Dublin, Sting dropped the title for the shortest reign in WCW World Title history up to that point.

Big Van Vader's third reign turned out to be his best as he defeated the likes of The British Bulldog, Sting, and Dustin Runnels in consecutive weeks. Vader later ran into the toughest man he had ever faced up to that point: Cactus Jack. Vader and Foley fought at Halloween Havoc in a Texas death match for the WCW World Heavyweight Title. Vader defeated Cactus Jack in a tough victory, which saw Cactus Jack losing his right ear. Vader's amazing reign came to an end in December at Starrcade when he faced Ric Flair in a Title Vs. Career Match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Cheers, thanks.

Anyone at the show by any chance? Where was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Bruce Buffer

Driver 8 wrote: »
    Cheers, thanks.

Anyone at the show by any chance? Where was it?

I wasnt at it but it was on in the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

wow i remember i was there that night with my nephew
    was delighted that i saw a world title change
    must try and dig up the photos i have of it
    as far as i can remember rick rude, orndorff, micheal hayes, dustin rhodes, barry windham, johhny b badd and van hammer were there also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I was at it, yeah, very young at the time. Fantastic atmosphere, even though I was more of a WWF Fan. The title change was good - lots of interference, and I caught a great photo of Sting powerslamming Vader's manager, but a good clean win. I also remember Johnny B Badd's streamer gun, and being able to get into the ring after the show. No wrestlers around, but that didn't bother me in the slightest!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Bruce Buffer

dolittle wrote: »
    wow i remember i was there that night with my nephew
    was delighted that i saw a world title change
    must try and dig up the photos i have of it
    as far as i can remember rick rude, orndorff, micheal hayes, dustin rhodes, barry windham, johhny b badd and van hammer were there also

Mick Foley and The British Bulldog was at it as well if I'm not mistaken. Used to have a DVD of the show (Not great quality because it was recorded off just a normal video camera). Ill have to try and find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

geeky wrote: »
    and being able to get into the ring after the show. No wrestlers around, but that didn't bother me in the slightest!

wow.
    wouldnt happen now :(

found a few photos going thru the attic
    couldnt find them all

and another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rejaw

the card from what i remember was:

Van hammer v johnny b badd,dustin rhodes v barry windham, bulldog v vinnie vegas(kevin nash),i see the pic of michael hayes v ??? , rick rude v cactus jack(great match), sting v vader. there prob was more but i remember after the show as we were leaving, the crowd stormed the ring and the ring was full of people. also the ring was sitting on a big structure with wheels from what i can remember which i thought was kind strange. also they were selling stickers that you stuck on your face that looked like stings make up which was kinda cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rejaw

scotty flamingo(raven) was definately there also......i think he fought johnny b badd. driving me crazy, im gonna go diggin for those photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Isn't that Flair at ringside in the secong picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

dolittle wrote: »
    found a few photos going thru the attic
    couldnt find them all

Fantastic pictures..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Terry wrote: »
    Isn't that Flair at ringside in the secong picture?
    Harley Race.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was watching a video on Youtube which showed a history of WCW Title changes and it has footage of the title changes in London and Dublin. From looking at the pictures in this thread I believe the footage is legit. It might prove of interest to those who were at the show and those who have never seen it before.

The title change in London is at about 3:41 or so and the one from Dublin is after it.

Not great quality but still pretty cool to see it happen as I've only ever read about it before.

Advertisement