Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing Anger Over Arlington Novas Purchase Of Drug Respite House

Options
  • 25-07-2009 9:15pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone being following this story? Arlington Novas in conjunction with the Mid-Western Regional Drugs Task Force and the HSE have purchased a house in Inchidrinagh just outside Newport, Co. Tipperary to allow families from Limerick to come out for rehabilitation. There is worries that trouble may follow such families . . . so the following will occur - the residents will be blindfolded while being driven to the house from Limerick in order to conceal its location.

Will it work? I really doubt it somehow . . . meanwhile opposition to the operation is mounting in the area.

Major Row over Plans for Newport Respite Centre
    FAMILIES from the Limerick area affected by drugs will be blindfolded while being driven to a planned Arlington Novas respite house in Newport, local Fine Gael councillor, Dr. Phyll Bugler claimed a meeting of North Tipperary County Council on Monday.

I must say myself, that the growing trend of Limerick CC and the HSE of moving "troublesome" families from Limerick City into surrounding rural areas is worrying. The trend has being occuring in Murroe for some time now, and drug problems seem to soaring out of control in the area. It was only a few backs when we had this story.
    NEARLY five kilos of cocaine valued at approximately €350,000 was seized during a garda raid in a new housing estate in Murroe this Tuesday night. One man was arrested following the raid.

. . . .

Gardia believe that the drugs were intended for distribution in Limerick city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jesusofnaz

i live very close by ... thing is this is not respite for users themselves, but family members impacted by drug users. So the moral panic in this instance has been framed in the wrong terms. i don't understand the blindfolding either, its remote alright, but you will find it if you have the townland name and OS map.

however, moving troublesome families out this way does really get my goat. this is the corpo's mess, they should sort it out in there jurisdiction. from what i've heard, they are moving the troublemakers first. i moved from the city to get away from this, so this is undoing years of hard work on my part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

PLESE TELL ME THIS A JOKE,RESPITE FOR FAMILY OF JUNKIES!IF THEY WANT TO TAKE DRUGS WORK AWAY BUT DONT MAKE US ALL PAY

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

tone it down irishvamp.

and lose the all caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TheKnowledge

WELL SAID BILLYTHESQUID! YOU DO A BANG UP JOB! WHAT WOULD WE DO WITHOUT YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

We would have to put up with you for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Heh.... Billy, would you do the honours? :)

No need to report post any more.... we got it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TheKnowledge

Oh no do I feel a ban coming on......go on Billy I'm ready for it! Be gentle!

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Another disastrous move by a health executive board.Were the locals consulted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

ah now come on why should they be.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Well, organised local communities can object forcefully to what they deem to be detrimental to their area.It will be interesting to see how localities,infected by HSE and CC "imports" will react when/and if, the proposed property tax is implemented

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Another disastrous move by a health executive board.Were the locals consulted?

No, that is why people are very angry. The deals were very much done "under the table". It was a sneaky operation.
    Well, organised local communities can object forcefully to what they deem to be detrimental to their area.It will be interesting to see how localities,infected by HSE and CC "imports" will react when/and if, the proposed property tax is implemented

People all across Newport and Rearcross are very angry. Action will be stepped up I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

As a resident of Newport I can tell you that no we were not consulted and as mentioned, why should we be?

The HSE can buy the house right next door to you and feel it with families with hardships and there is nothing you can do about it so this is the same thing.

I missed the past two meetings in the community hall but I am under the impression it will be a big house outside of the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Consult with the people of Ballina/Killaloe - they got really fired up recently over similar.

- Soon we should probably expect Vigilante Mobs on horseback and lynchings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Berty wrote: »
    The HSE can buy the house right next door to you and feel it with families with hardships and there is nothing you can do about it so this is the same thing.

Well for one, considering we fund the HSE what it does with its money should be transparent . . .

Advertisement