Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Edward Street like?

Options
  • 25-07-2009 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,
    I'm moving to Limerick in Septmber and I was thinking of renting a room on Edward Street. Can you please tell me something about the area? Would you recommend it?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

Edward Street is part of "Old Limerick". It's very centrally located and generally a good well established area. 2 minutes from the Peoples Park, the railway station and less than 5 minutes from the city centre.

Like any street in any city, you will always find undesireables.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Hi,
    I'm moving to Limerick in Septmber and I was thinking of renting a room on Edward Street. Can you please tell me something about the area? Would you recommend it?
    Thanks

Cannot say it is an area I would like to live in tbh. It is not the worst, but plenty of better areas, especially at night

Are you moving to Limerick for work or College?

What side of town will you be going to work/college in?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Yes it's pretty central but I would be careful after dark, bit dodgy. It's also a bit of a depressing old street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Hi,
    Thanks

I used to live in 'The Park' apartments on Edward Street before for nearly two years and never had any trouble.
    There is a rough bar straight accross the road from these apartments, just keep away from that and you should have little trouble. It's like any other city centre residential area you can bump into drunks anytime of the evening or night.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 novinthesky

Kess73 wrote: »
    Cannot say it is an area I would like to live in tbh. It is not the worst, but plenty of better areas, especially at night

Are you moving to Limerick for work or College?

What side of town will you be going to work/college in?

I will be working in Croom, but I don't wanna live in Dooradoyle or Raheen cos they're too far from the city centre and I'm afraid of getting bored :D.
    I've been looking for a double ensuite near South Circular Road but I haven't found anything so far.
    I like this room cos it is close to the city centre, but then I have to pay 350 euros plus gas, electricity and rubbish. I was thinking of securing it because I'm afraid I won't be able to find anything on daft.ie by September.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The other half is originally from Bourke Avenue which is just off Edward St. Its always seemed like a nice quiet place except for that bar on the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

is there still an 'Edward Street Garda Station'? (Implying there should be a regular traffic of them in the area)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Dooradoyle / Raheen arent that bad. Plenty of bars/pubs and its well serviced by buses to town etc..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Edward street is the main pedestrian route into the cty centre for a large section of Ballinacurra Weston.

Some great people up there, but some real bogies too. It's the hq of the McCarthy Dundon organisation for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Diairist wrote: »
    is there still an 'Edward Street Garda Station'? (Implying there should be a regular traffic of them in the area)

No, the Garda station is long gone, but Edward St. is fairly quiet anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

If you want to be near the city centre Fitzhaven on the South Circular Road is nice. There always appear to be rooms to rent in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Edward street is the main pedestrian route into the cty centre for a large section of Ballinacurra Weston.

Some great people up there, but some real bogies too. It's the hq of the McCarthy Dundon organisation for example.

Why would they go this way??! Surely the Hyde Road is the route? This is where the element resides - not Lord Edward St.
    No, the Garda station is long gone, but Edward St. is fairly quiet anyway.

I'm ould enough to remember squad cars parked here. Why was nothing done with the building after the station closed? Shame Nice redbrick facade that could have been salvaged and turned into loads of things.

My people come from up this neck of the woods and I spent some time living there myself. I thought the proximity to the centre was great and there are some great old folks living there - 'real' Limerick if you know what I mean. G'wan Young Munsters. I would give it my recommendation OP but would be happier getting a cab or bus back up late at night just in case. It's a fairly 'settled' area and should be easy to get to know neighbours. There used to be a shop here and even a toy shop when I was a kid. There was also Murphy's pub and Xeric studios where the Cranberries recorded. Better snap back into 2009 now before the tears well up.:pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

topper75 wrote: »
    Why would they go this way??! Surely the Hyde Road is the route? This is where the element resides - not Lord Edward St.

Please re read what I wrote. For a large section of Weston access into the city centre is quickest on foot via Edward St.

Please re read what I wrote. For a large section of Weston access into the city centre is quickest on foot via Edward St.

Are they directionally-challenged as well as ethically-challenged then?

LordEdwardSt.png

Are they directionally-challenged as well as ethically-challenged then?

LordEdwardSt.png

Do you know where Weston is?

h3000 wrote: »
    Do you know where Weston is?

Yeah - it's on the map I posted. Or am I wrong?

Yeah - it's on the map I posted. Or am I wrong?

In general the whole Weston area is within the red lines on map below.

WestonISH.png

Weston now includes the SCR and O'Connell Avenue, Quinn's cottages and Greenfields etc. !!! LOL.

Do I have the time to correct somebody who is wrong on the internet?

Not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

WestonISH.png

Did u draw that yourself..?? I'd love you to tell pople living on O'Connell Ave and New Street that they are in Weston :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Weston stops where Lynches shop used to be. There are those in Greenfields who do not wish to be known as being from Weston, however, historically, they are part of Ballinacurra Weston.

That map is a heap of ****. No way does weston go as far as the People's Park, At best it goes a little bit down Hyde Road.

better idea of the size of weston from the regeneration agency site
    http://www.limerickregeneration.ie/southside-area/

• Advertisement

Liam79 wrote: »
    Did u draw that yourself..?? I'd love you to tell pople living on O'Connell Ave and New Street that they are in Weston :D

whats your problem with people from weston?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Weston does not go as far as the peoples park as after the shops in weston ...its becomes "Prospect"

Further to edward street its perfectly fine except near the army barracks, where they built a student village about 5 yrs ago, I lived there myself but have to move due to the constant amount of noise most weeknites.

Anywhere away from the army barracks is fine and is a perfectly safe and quiet in general but there is a lot of traffic on the road ...where exactly are you planning on moving to??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I always though Weston included the estate across road from turn up to Hyde road??

WestonISH.png

Look on the bright side, if there is a job going on the City Boundary commission, you will receive massive support from the city dwellers :)

Fair call Billy the Squid. The agency's idea of Weston is pretty much what I had understood. I would also have to agree with Sparky though that more of the lower Hyde road should be included (both sides of the road). There is an old townland if memory serves me on some ancient maps though to be fair to h3000 that has Ballincurra Weston as a larger area on the edge of the city. Are these old British maps online anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 novinthesky

steveon wrote: »
    Anywhere away from the army barracks is fine and is a perfectly safe and quiet in general but there is a lot of traffic on the road ...where exactly are you planning on moving to??

The address on daft.ie was Edward Street 16A, Caledonian Place. So I don't know if it's near the army barrack or the student village. Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

The address on daft.ie was Edward Street 16A, Caledonian Place. So I don't know if it's near the army barrack or the student village. Is it?

Calendonian Place is at the other end of the road I live on and is very quiet, I think I Know the appartment you are referring to, most of the neighbours are there since the houses are quiet, it isnt as far as the army barracks its just after the park....less than 5mins from the peoples park and train station on foot so its an easy commute spot..

If it is the place I think I will check later, I know the landlord, there is broadband access included in the place I can check the house later to be sure...would recommend.

Advertisement