Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HOW CAN ONE IDENTIFY AN ALLOY??

Options
  • 25-07-2009 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

hi my girlfriend bought a set alloys from a guy on gumtree. dere for a cinquecento but dnt fit it..she can't get threw to him now.the alloys centre stamps are worn off but i can see that they are volkswagen and toyota..is der a way of knowing what exact model they are and what cars they fit. for istance is dere a code on them somewher or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

If you could post a photo of them,someone on here will be able to tell what they are for sure.Its nigh on impossible to tell an alloy wheel from a code on it,they usually just have the size on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 dancnu

here is one..4 are similar..just want to know what cars they wud fit..has volkswagen and toyota symbol on them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

They look like they're 4x100 so will fit quite a few different cars, cast your eyes over this and it'll tell you what they'll fit.

thanks boom stick thats exactly what i was lookin for..is der neway to tell for definite if they are 4x100's or wud u just know by lookin???..thanks again.......i think they mite be the 4x98's actually as the can fit on the cinquecento but seem to get stuck a slight bit when turnin the wheel round

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Please no textspeak.

• Advertisement

Ah sorry I thought they wouldn't fit as the Fiat is 98x100.

They could be 4x98, 4x100, 4x108 or 4x114. Whip out a measuring tape and make sure.

pcd4-330x344.jpg

Make sure your offset and centre bore are right too.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

According to this site fiats are 4x98, while most toyotas are 4x100

Edit - If you got them on, but they are rubbing when going around turns then your wheels are rubbing either on the inner plastic arches, or the arch itself. Cinquento normally has tiny wheels, what size alloys did you get? Even 15's may be too big.

ya der 4x100's alrit..thanks for yer help guys. much appreciated

hi, one last thing, some of the 4x100's have an offset of 35 to 42. and others are 35 to 45. wots does this mean??

The offset is essentially the distance from half the rim width to the part of the alloy that actually bolts on to the wheel studs.

i.e if your car is desingned to have an offset of 40 (can be written as 40ET) and you get alloys with an offset of 25 the wheels will be stuck under the car, not flush with the arches.
    On the other hand if the offset is too large e.g 60ET the wheels will pertrude out beyond the arches.

Either of these may/may not cause rubbing.

Seeing as the offset in this case is very small you should be fine.

Hope I explained that well enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

dancnu wrote: »
    hi, one last thing, some of the 4x100's have an offset of 35 to 42. and others are 35 to 45. wots does this mean??

TXTSPK is frowned upon across boards.ie. Any more and you'll find your posts deleted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Have to disagree with you there BOOMSTICK....a smaller ET will cause the wheel to stick out more whereas a larger one may cause rubbing on shox inner arches etc.........unless you're talking about neg. offset. maybe ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

if its a genuine fiat alloy it will have a code on the inside of the wheel. it is usually 7 or eight numbers long. I think most of them start with 59 or 46.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Those wheels look like they came off a Polo but its anyones guess - ask your girlfriend if she'd buy shoes without trying them on? If they are 100mmPCD I'd recommend you sell them again.

Very few alloys fit Cinqs - the 37mm offset is almost car-specific and anything else either rubs the swingarm or fouls the arches. Either get an old set of Cinq alloys or get 13" punto alloys (which have a 28mm offset) and fit 10mm spacers with longer bolts.

Fiatforum.com has loads of info on fitting Cinq alloys - they often recommend fitting 'wobbly bolts' in order to get 100pcd wheels to fit Fiats with 98pcd - I've never seen them but I wouldn't want them on my car.

'cptr

ok thanks interceptor and others we'll sort somethin out..thanks for yer help....

when an alloy is 4x100. does that mean that it will fit all the other cars on the alloy wheel fitment guide with the same pcd or will a difference in the bore and offset affect it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

when an alloy is 4x100. does that mean that it will fit all the other cars on the alloy wheel fitment guide with the same pcd or will a difference in the bore and offset affect it??

It'll fit all other 4x100 hubs, but if the offset is way off it will rub the vehicle at the front or rear of the tyre. Bore? I don't think this is a concern...

'c

jus seen somethin bout a bore not even sure what it is as i dont no much about cars. but with the offset should a 4x100, 35 to 42, 38 to 45 and 35 to 45 be able to fit the same car??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

jus seen somethin bout a bore not even sure what it is as i dont no much about cars. but with the offset should a 4x100, 35 to 42, 38 to 45 and 35 to 45 be able to fit the same car??

You didnt read the txtspk warning above by the mod no?

jump along nw jumpy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

No more help for the OP until he learns to behave...

OP, PM a mod if you want this unlocked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement