Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taking up chemistry

Options
  • 25-07-2009 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

posting for my sister.
    you think it would be possible for her to take up chemistry and manage to get a C3 at HL if she has to repeat?
    shes thinking along the line of dietetics and she needs a min of a C3..
    yes no maybe so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

posting for my sister.
    you think it would be possible for her to take up chemistry and manage to get a C3 at HL if she has to repeat?
    shes thinking along the line of dietetics and she needs a min of a C3..
    yes no maybe so?

Defo possible for the C3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

She could easily get a B or even an A if she puts in the work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Definitely. Chemistry has a very short course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

It's definitely possible. I did chemistry outside school, but I started in fifth year. I had a one hour grind every week, but after one year I had almost all the course done. I spent most of sixth year revising the course. If your sister's anyway scientifically inclined she'll fly it. I found it really interesting, easy to study, and quite easy to do well in if you knew your stuff. It could be difficult enough to do on your own from the mathematicky side of it, but the theory is easily enough understand from a book (I had Chemistry Live!, it's probably the best one).

A C3 would be easily achievable in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

Thanks guys :)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys :)

Leave a thank you beside our posts while you are at it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Leave a thank you beside our posts while you are at it.:)

Happy?:p

Happy?:p

I got you back!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Tell your sis to leave out the option. She will know what I'm talking about.
    Absolute waste of time and effort.
    And yes, its possible. I did it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Tell your sis to leave out the option. She will know what I'm talking about.
    Absolute waste of time and effort.
    And yes, its possible. I did it myself.

The enviornment one (Ozone n shíte) could not be easier and takes all of 20 minutes.

Manufacture of Ammonia is a little tougher, but is still incredibly easy.

• Advertisement

20 mins?
    You my friend are a genius.
    Or I used a different book to you. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 notnormal

just did the leaving in it and you can definitely leave out the option, its only a part of a question where you do 2 out of 3 parts. you can completely abandon it and still have loads of choice in the exam!

If you were to leave anything out I would leave out electrochemistry and the option.

I dont know about electrochemistry tbh.
    I think a good sized question on that topic is dying to come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭the_wheel_turns

It's very possible!

If you're trying to narrow it down, know the experiments inside out and then the entire section on Organics (Fuels, Heats, Organic Synthesis, Hydrocarbons, etc.) - that could get you 5 full questions out of 8 you need to do.

Also, the Q5 stuff is very repetitive - knowing the History chapter, Periodic Table, Electronegativity, Ionisation Energies, Radiation - they're all fairly easy! There's another question, brings us to 6 out of 8 questions.

Then plenty of practice on all the past Q4s, the short questions, should prepare you completely for that - bringing us to 7 out of 8 questions - and there's your A2!!

I got an A1 if you ever need any help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Im in a similar situation. If I end up repeating the leaving cert I intend to take on chemistry aswell and similarly I would need a HL C3 min.

I have already prepared myself by reading (not exactly studying but just to get the jist) chapters 1 to 15 of Chemistry Live from around the 1st to the 31st of July (if anyone used this for the leaving).

But would it be a lot of pressure to do this in one year? I am naturally a hard working person so I have no problem when it comes to putting in the effort. I would prob drop down to pass in english and irish and I have six other subjects for my points plus the chemistry. I hope to do medicine so I need all the requirements in the one year.

Also while I'm here, do you have an option to use the points from this years leaving cert(2009), say if you do worse next year? Or do you have to use your points from 2010 if you repeat? I have been hearing a lot of mixed ideas about this.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Timistry

yup i think it is defo worth a try. Chemistry is always useful when you go to college to do any science degree. As was said, its a short course that is split into fairly discrete sections (history, organic etc) so its pretty manageable. The exam questions are always on the same stuff. I found writing chapter summaries useful since the course is so short. There is also a rapid revision book for Chemistry Live! which is excellent. When I did the leaving, it had the highest A1 rate (13%) Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭the_wheel_turns

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Also while I'm here, do you have an option to use the points from this years leaving cert(2009), say if you do worse next year? Or do you have to use your points from 2010 if you repeat? I have been hearing a lot of mixed ideas about this.:confused:

The CAO is the only place where points are relevant, and they keep your grades from ALL your Leaving Certs on file. If applying again as a repeat, they will send you a slip of paper saying that they have detected you have sat the examinations before and if you would like for them to be taken in consideration, fill out your exam number and return it to them. You can e-mail it to them either.

You must do this. When they register your exam number, you will be able to see your grades from last year under the 'Qualifications & Assessment' section after you sign into your page at cao.ie, as well as your exam number for your repeat year.

The computers at the CAO will automatically select the best year for points purposes.

Advertisement