Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First time driver

Options
  • 25-07-2009 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

ok i've been watching this forum for awhile and i am finding it great help already. i am just really nervous about driving, i'm still 16 and i'll be turning 17 at the start of september, i got 40/40 in my theory test (for anyone going to do it get the cd not the book, its way better).

any way i am just starting to leanr and driving in empty car parks with my dad, going through the gears (i've only ever got into third)

i just find it rather hard to start the car, clutch off/gas on etc. but i can only get the the car going a few times and its getting easier (it was my second time out today) but i still make the car jump sometimes and it will cut out. i also tried a hill start today and the car cut out 3 times before i got it (with a truck coming towards me :eek:). i know it will probably just be practice, practice, practice but does anyone have any other advice on the bite? also when im starting on a hill is it ok (if i was doing a test) if i only have one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on the hand break to stop it from rolling then once i get the bite right that i release the hand break?

i am also practicing turns on tight corners etc using indicators, dropping from third into second and using the clutch and break to slowly hault at the stop sign.

i'd love tips on what areas learner drivers fail the test most often and how i can prevent these etc and in general just tips to help me in the future, all help is great thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

As you said practice makes perfect.

But when it comes to starting off, hill starts especially, you need to feel the car trying to move off itself. When you reach that biting point you have to learn to hold it, once you have set off you can release the clutch fully, but slowly.

With hill starts, you can either use the foot brake or hand brake. Hand brake is best for steeper hills. Using the handbrake, you get the revs up gently, maybe about 1,500-2000 revs. Lift the clutch slowly as you normally would, and when you feel the car shuddering a bit, like it's trying to set off, drop the handbrake quickly.

Just practice practice practice, and you should be ok!

And if it makes you feel any better about cutting out, I've been driving for nearly 2 months now, and I still cut out every now and then.

Just stay calm and focused and be gentle with your feet, and you will be flying it!

Good luck!

The most important thing in driving is clutch control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

thanks a million, since you're a learner too and you live around the UL area (me too) can you recommend a place where maybe i can go up to 4th and 5th gear although i understand that i might not be able to get into 5th without being on a real road, so far ive been practicing in the parking lots of mini golf, where did you practice?

RHunce wrote: »
    thanks a million, since you're a learner too and you live around the UL area (me too) can you recommend a place where maybe i can go up to 4th and 5th gear although i understand that i might not be able to get into 5th without being on a real road, so far ive been practicing in the parking lots of mini golf, where did you practice?

Well you wouldn't get into 5th anywhere around that area to be honest, but I've gotten to 4th on the Plassey road around the Industrial Estate where you are learning, and the Dublin road.

If you don't mind me saying, I think you really should wait until you are a bit more savvy with the car and the clutch before you go into higher gears and speeds.

I only went into 5th once so far, on the dual carriage way during a lesson. And even then I took it a bit slower than an experienced driver would take.

I practiced in the same place as you with a professional instructor. He took me through the gears, and taught me how to steer smoothly. He then went through braking and setting off in good time, and later on 3 point turns and hill starts.

If you come out of the UniGolf carpark and turn left onto that smaller road, take the second left turn, and then turn right, and you drive through a smaller car park, up at the top there is a good place to practice hill starts.
    It's a real good practice for steering aswell.

I understand that you are eager to get out on the roads and stuff, but go through the basics really till you are more confident with the controls before you go out on the main roads.

I can PM you my instructor if you want, he's really good, and his way of teaching clutch control is really effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

I can PM you my instructor if you want, he's really good, and his way of teaching clutch control is really effective.

thanks that would be great

and thanks for all of your help too

PM sent :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RSA ADI MARK

hi rhunce just remember you are still only 16 ,17 in sepember so you are not insured.ive said in other post driving is a life skill ,its good your dad is helping you ,but learn to control the car first ,then up the gears ,with moving of try it just with the clutch and see how far the car will go ,when you understand the car more you will be a better driver ,hope it helps

Advertisement